Ole Miss

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by BigOrangeBeech, Feb 8, 2017.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Lose tonight and they're playing for NIT

2. BigOrangeBeech

It's sad we have no one else to handle the ball other than Bone

3. BigOrangeBeech

We're fallin

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Can somebody who knows the rules explain why Bowden didn't shoot FTs at the end of the half?

5. BigOrangeBeech

Player control foul. No free throws when in bonus.

6. BigOrangeBeech

Wasn't pretty but a win is a win at this point in the season. Need to play better Saturday.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If we win each remaining except USC & KY, how many do we likely need to win in SECT to be in the Dance?

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

3?

9. JohnnyQuickkick

accomplishing this in the regular season would be 18 wins... hard to imagine 2 SECT wins wouldn't do it.

10. BigOrangeBeech

It would actually be 19 wins. If we get to 20 wins total I think we get in. Regardless we do not need to be 0 for in the sec tourney.

The Miss St game really screwed this thing up. We'd be sitting good right now had we won that game.

11. BigOrangeBeech

Be nice to win one of USCe or KY on the road. Tall task though.

12. VB

VB Member

Possibly none assuming we don't lose to LSU/Missouri. Our RPI would be really good

13. BigOrangeBeech

RPI would still be okay, however we've lost too many games that we should/could have won. We blew double digit leads to Arkansas, Ole Miss on the road, Miss. State, and I'm sure missing some others, but those are the first ones that come to mind. We got the KY and KS St wins at home but we're missing that one game (UNC game for me) that sticks out on paper to a committee when they're looking at everything. That's why I keep saying our margin of error is thin.

Having said that. I know I'm biased, but if TN is sitting there on the bubble with 18-19 wins, I'm putting them in, but that's mainly because I've been watching them play all year and know that they'd give alot of teams fits in the tournament. Someone on the committee with lesser knowledge probably only looks at the Stat sheet and makes their determination off of that.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

I don't think those losses are all that killer, though. Arkansas at home is probably the one that hurts the most because it's at home.

15. BigOrangeBeech

When you don't have any road signature wins (UNC would have been the one) you're record starts to play more in to the equation. You also can't lose road games that you ought to be winning. Like blowing a 19 point lead against MS St.

The problem is there are many teams in the SEC that have similar records to us. We have to have something that makes us stand out. The strength of schedule helps but we're 1-6 against top 25 opponents.

Winning everything left but USCe and KY (both road games) may get us in without needing a win in the sec tourney, but I would not feel comfortable sitting there on selection Sunday if that were the case.

Additionally, Bama, Vandy and UGA are all gonna be tough games even though they are at home.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  16. JohnnyQuickkick

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we drop any combination of those 3

17. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Go 5-2 and this team is dancing. One win in the SEC tourney would be good insurance.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Seriously?

19. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

I think 5-2 down the stretch gets them in as long as a bunch of non tourney teams don't win the automatic bid. SOS and RPI will be really strong

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Currently 1-6 vs top 25. Historically, that's not a good indicator of getting into the tourney.