On to Florida

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 29, 2014.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This game will set the tone for Butch's tenure here. Here is a Florida team, devoid of any real talent on offense, that is playing for a lame duck head coach.

There are no excuses as to why Tennessee doesn't win Saturday. None.

Everyone talks about youth, inexperience, injuries etc, the bottom line is Tennessee is a much better team than Florida. Barring a complete meltdown, Tennessee should win by double digits.

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I agree, we are better than them.

3. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I have a hard time believing we should beat them by double digits with the number of whiffs our o-line has every single game. I think we're better. Not much better, but better.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They can't score points and they can't cover WRs.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I think AJ Jonhsons comment post game UGA was "Florida is a must win game".

I think he nailed it and the pressure is now there. They walked into OU and UGA with house money, the expectations next week are not to compete its to win. Anything less is failure.

6. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

yep. Gotta have it. Interested to see if this staff has these kids confident and ready or tightened up due to how big this game really is for the program. Fla hasn't looked good, but has had a bye week and a gut check. They have too many athletes to go away quietly and weren't they in the Bama game until late in the 3rd?

7. Beechervol

The score indicated that. Bama had more to do with that than UF. Without a couple of uncharacteristic turnovers by Bama thats a 56-7 type score.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The only reason they were in the Bama game was Bama giving them the ball.

9. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Opening line is Florida -1? Is that right?

10. Beechervol

Yeah, thats 56-7 without Bama handing them 14 points.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

[video=youtube;WiQBJaaKmGs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiQBJaaKmGs[/video]

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Amari Cooper is extremely talented, but his first TD catch he was running all by himself. He made great plays later in the game, but it doesn't really matter how great you are if the defenders don't cover you. You would think that covering one of the best WRs in the nation would be a priority.

Kenyon Drake is a 3rd string, rarely used tailback running wide open.

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Florida is a mental hurdle and it's not limited to Jones and Company.

I'm with you, talent wise, there is no excuse.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch likes to say the culture's changed. Here's his chance to prove it.

15. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Saturday is much like Bama 95 to me from a program and fan standpoint. They aren't what they were, but it's a big mental hurdle and stepping stone to overcome if we want to take the next step forward as a program. It's a strange circumstance where a win is much bigger than it should normally be but a loss is catastrophic. But, if we go in there and take care of business, I think we should be fine.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We are beating Florida.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I wish I was as optimistic as you guys.

I'm going to have to see the score with us ahead after 60 minutes for me to believe it.

19. Beechervol

I think being really young is an advantage to this team. Most of them have only lost once or not at all to UF.

IMO this probably the highest pressure game of Jones career at UT so far.

20. Beechervol

Tennessee is a better football than they have been. The degree may be debatable, but they are better.

UF doesn't look any different than last except their D hasn't been on par with last years team.

The optimism is for me anyway has weight on both sides.