Opinion: who threw the best ball in SEC history ?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Dick Huffman, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I posted in another thread that concerning Tony Robinson, only Namath and possibly Shuler could rival the down field accuracy and velocity of his passes from within the history of the conference.

What other notable names that fit into their class?

2. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Although he can't rival their velocity, Tim Couch threw about as accurate a pass in college ball as anyone I've seen.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bray has one of the best arms I've seen personally

Jamarcus Russell's howitzer of a right arm but he wasn't too accurate

4. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

i'm just gonna beat hat to the punch. the correct answer is "not peyton manning."

with that said, couch was pretty damn accurate.

jamarcus russell wasn't near the best arm but had to be close to one of the strongest.

5. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Hell yeah, Bray had a cannon. Mettenberger could also sling the shit out of a ball.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If you guys had ever seen Peterman in practice, there would be no debate.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'll take Tony Robinson for the "prettiest spin" any day of the week - especially the deep ball. He could throw a rope, but even his deep fades were perfect. That he'd often do it so effortlessly, and while moving, only makes it better.

He wasn't the most accurate or strongest - but definitely the prettiest.

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Lot of talk about arm strength. If you're talking about guys that sling it, it's Matthew Stafford. End of discussion. But he did not throw the best ball in SEC history. So it's a different discussion.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

why is it that our athletic department doesn't buy the best ball for our QBs to throw? If they're throwing second-rate balls, no wonder we've had so much trouble lately. I'll hang up and listen.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I always thought Jay Barker through a pretty ball and from memory seemed to be rather accurate on the deep ball.

It may just be that he broke my heart too many times and for that I have a bit of a distorted memory.

11. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I have to see that knucklehead just about every day on car commercials down here in Huntsville.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

If the video includes Sara Evans it would be worth it.

I'd drink her bathwater.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

While he had a somewhat noodle arm, I think Danny Wuerffel was about as accurate as they come.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Stafford can chuck it, but he had a lot of stupid throws

15. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Go to the 32:20 point in this video to see some insane velocity look effortless from Shuler.

[video=youtube;Xbv9rBJ_7cI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbv9rBJ_7cI[/video]

16. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Heath Shuler, anyone? Perhaps not the prettiest spiral but his combination of big arm + accuracy + mobility is unrivaled in my mind.

Disclaimer: I'm not old enough to remember Tony Robinson and Condredge was well before my time.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

One of my high school coaches was a teammate of Tony Robinson at Tennessee, he said he was the best athlete he's ever been around.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

He can still spin it.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

stronger than JaMarcus? No way. Dude could throw it through a steel blast door.

I'll take Tony Robinson in this, but Rohan Davey threw some beautiful passes.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Russell threw a pass against Notre Dame that damn near hit the roof of the Super Dome