Optimistic Takes From Tonight

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by PilotFlyingJ, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I was a freshman and in UT med center for alcohol poisoning and missed first 2 games that year. Tried to repeat the last 2 weeks but my tolerance is up after 3 decades

utvol0427 likes this.
  2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I wasn't alive the last time we were 0-2

cpninja likes this.
  3. TimRoo

TimRoo Member

Forget FeelsLike98. Someone grab FeelsLike88

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

At least in 88 we won our last five and then had a really good 89. That aint happening here.

A-Smith and TimRoo like this.
  5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Ole Duncan Stewart

6. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I guess we're going to that dark place. Bench any upper classman not bought in and bench JG. Take your lumps and build for the future.

reVOLt likes this.
  7. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

It’s the only way. Tennessee is dog shit right now and as long as Pruitt keeps trotting out losing ass JG it’s going to stay that way.

8. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I can live with losing with young guys who give a shit and will benefit from the experience. I HATE HATE HATE losing with veterans who suck and or don't give shit.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And 75% of the roster was injured.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How much do you think he’d want to coach UT?

11. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

From here on out if JP is a great coach, a leader of young men, a teacher of football, we should see his very best efforts. If there isn’t a disconnect between the staff and the roster, if the players have been sufficiently humbled, we’ll see their best efforts.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

A-Smith and NorrisAlan like this.
  14. Ssmiff

Some good points in that article. Start pissing players off then peer recruiting is hurt and risk of locker room split. Catch 22 and id still bench him but I can see the variables that come into play. We wont be good again until we have some non losing upperclassmen who peer recruit well and show young guys how to win,

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

This is what happens when you hang onto a guy like Butch too long. I don’t think every single guy he recruited was a malcontent, and certainly every coach is going to wind up with a few of those. But after a few years with a POS like Buch, his ridiculous lies have caught up with him and it’s hard to attract a Dobbs type and you mostly get pouters like Guarantano. If we’d booted him a few years ago we’d have still had a few decent upper classmen to set the tone for the rebuild.

Tenacious D and justingroves like this.
  16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Like, immediately after the 2015 Oklahoma, UF or Arkansas game

17. Ssmiff

Was it the year before he was fired when we got to #9? and would have been top 5 if not for 7 turnovers, iir, 3 or 4 inside the 10.
    At least it was entertaining for a few games. At UF win and rushing for 250. Ga hail Mary. Aggies game. Couple of bowl games beating up on weak Big 10 teams. Thats about it and not much else for 4 years. No way he was getting fired very soon after being top 10, even if it wasnt coaching that got them there. That bought him time.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Any half decent coach walks into that 2016 season and wins 10 minimum, and that's assuming there's hiccups with a new system. Very good chance to get 11. Recruiting would be rolling and 2017 would have certainly still been a setback, but not a catastrophe. By now, we are probably in a pretty nice spot.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

2016. But it was pretty obvious that would be his high point. A lot of us predicted he'd do well that one year, then be subpar after that.

Even those games you mention... We were way better than Florida and they made us look like fools in Neyland for the majority of the game. Georgia was a mediocre team in a coach's first season. Should have won comfortably there, too. Aggies game had about 87 turnovers.

Put in a decent coach for Butch's run and we're what, 4-1 against Florida? An OU win? Bama win not out of the question. At least a few wins over freaking SEC West teams. Some Muschamp wins. Not 2-3 against Vanderbilt.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  20. Ssmiff

That OK game was nuts. We were a fingertip from stopping a couple of those 4th down plays and game woulda been over.

Memtownvol likes this.