POLITICS Origins of Racism, Sexism, Other “isms”?

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 10, 2018.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Don't they charge more if you smoke or are over weight?

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I bet I pay a lot more for car insurance than you do because I drive in Miami-Dade county. No accidents, no tickets, I have a CDL, so I've been tested more than a lot of other drivers, plus for me taking more tests and having a harder license to get, I have to take random drug tests and have to be medically cleared by the state of Florida.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I’m not sure your point, but I have no need for hurricane insurance. But I could get it.

So what would they be based on? Other than my own ignorance or paranoia?

4. fl0at_

Not sure. I get a discount for being neither.

But not sure if I’d get a hike.

5. fl0at_

You’d pay a lot more if you didn’t have all those things, I imagine.

6. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

The only point is that it’s not insurance if the event(s) that would result in benefits being paid out are a certainty rather than merely a risk.

I’m not saying I think people with treatable preexisting conditions should die or go bankrupt, but I do feel the conversation is often hindered by the fact that people don’t understand or refuse to acknowledge how insurance works*.

*Not saying you are one of these people, it’s just a pet peeve of mine when it comes to insurance/healthcare discussions.

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Copy

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Yes, I think so. I was going to drop my collision and comprehensive when I paid my truck off, but it was like 150 coconuts for 6 months. The bulk of my insurance cost is personal injury and liability.

9. fl0at_

Ah, I see. If vs when.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Which is why people in a 50 year flood plain can't get insurance.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Which isn’t a bad thing

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

So why do we give federal insurance to beach front homes?

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Do you think that I’m a fan of that?

You know why? A lot of politicians have houses there and it’s a kick back for their donors

warhammer likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

When I used to teach in CO, I'd go over natural hazards starting with rivers/flooding then coasts/storm surge. I was sure to point out the difference in how those property threats are treated policy-wise.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Oh good grief. Those are analogies to make a point. This gets back to what Tenny was saying. What’s important is how you treat others that are similar or different to yourself but go ahead and play the Nazi card dude.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah I get this. I am ok talking ancestral over racial. I think that is correct. And at least you addressed the substance (my point is that we are talking about populations no matter how fuzzy or tightly defined) of the argument instead of the af hominem trash IP pulled.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

My point in using the obvious examples of dog breeds or P5 is to make it clear why it is a fallacy to argue from an individual to the population. Clearly human ancestral ( I’m ver ok dropping race) differences are much smaller and less obvious. I was not even attempting to suggest otherwise. The ease at which people play the Nazi card these days has gotten stupid.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Last count I had, my best time in a 5k was better than Usain Bolt's, and I'm pretty pigment-challenged.

19. fl0at_

The biggest problem is that we track dog breed ancestry way closer than we do human ancestry.

And, free will and all, a pair of all time sprinters might not breed.

But a pair of all time trial dogs damn sure will.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And if they did the all time sprinters would have 2-3 kids most likely, of varying sexes, not a litter of 6-8 and perhaps 2-3 litters.

Human gestation and post birth needs really need to be brought into any equation on this.