OSU v Clemson

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Yes. And the ref who first threw the spot marker was a little behind the receiver and didn’t look like he had a good view of the hands / ball.

Remember, the offensive team can always be saved by replay on a play like that - if it’s not a fumble, then nothing that subsequently happened will matter. But for the defense, if they err on the side of an incompletion and blow that whistle, the play is dead right there, even if they recovered it and were streaking for a TD.

Yes, there is a rule that says if the defender was clearly going to be “unimpeded” in returning it for a score, that the play could continue, and the TD count....but I’ve yet to see that call actually made in any game.

cpninja likes this.
  2. Tenacious D

I understand your point, and hate refs as much as the next guy, but you’re mistaking where 7 humans can physically be and see, much less in the middle of 22 players, absolute chaos and in real-time vs what three dozen cameras from all angles can catch and show back in frame-by-frame slow motion.

The ref that threw the spot marker was not perfectly positioned for that particular ball, but he was exactly and perfectly positioned where he should have been on the field, and covering what he was assigned to cover. Had that pass been 3 yards further down field, it’d been right in front and clearly in his complete sight.

3. Tenacious D

Clemson has this knack for always proving me wrong, and maybe they will again, but I don’t see any way they stay within 21 of LSU.

That being said, it’s always some offensive juggernaut who just rolls over everyone who finally gets found out in big games like this, and can get surprisingly rolled, too.

Thankfully, Dabo won’t get away with doing this year what he did last year, when he admitted to barely worrying about Notre Dame in the first round, and instead took 6 weeks to prepare for Bama.

Actually, I’m [uck fay]ing sick of Dabo and Clemson, right now. And he can shove that “aw shucks” shit directly up his stupid ass. I hope that he and his team - the South Carolinian version of Miss. St - get beat by 100.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm sure he's a swell guy and all, but it is time for him to get that ass beat. Coach O is here to humble the elites of college football. He was custom designed to do so.

warhammer and Tenacious D like this.
  5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

If Clemson sends their lbs often again, and I bet they will assending 3 is a bad idea as ga and Ok proved, I have a hard time not seeing the play to be throw to whomever is man on #24 every time.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

First team to 45 wins. It will be Clemson.

7. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Venerables can coach. I’m sure he’ll get it figured out. If anything, it’s gonna just be because LSU’s passing attack is just to damn good to stop completely.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

the problem is that the call on the field usually gets the benefit of the doubt in a close situation. So I don’t really see the point of him making a call either way. There should be some kind of way he indicates he’s unable to make the correct call. I was honestly expecting the call on the field to stand. I’d think they could confer after the play and decide it was an incompletion.

9. Tenacious D

Hell, I wish that someone could even sort of explain it to me, because it just looks like they’re using an NFL passing attack vs college players, and they don’t know what in the hell to do about it.

10. Tenacious D

The call on the field wins, by default, absent “clear and convincing video evidence”.

You won’t hear all of the people who [itch bay] about replays saying it, but on that play, knowing that he had replay likely allowed him to throw the spot marker, and indicating a fumble, even if he didn’t see it....because he knew that replay would have seen it, if he called it a fumble, and it wasn’t. But had he called it an incomplete, replay might have overturned it and given it to Ohio St., but it would have been where he recovered it and the whistle would have blown. Simply, the risk for greater harm would have been in seeing the ball on the ground and not throwing the spot marker, than in throwing it.

Don’t call it a fumble and get it wrong - the greatest risk is you just cost the defense a game-turning scoop and score.

Call it a fumble and get it wrong - it’s second down for the offense.

That’s the difference.

And they can say they didn’t see the play, they can confer with others, they can verify different elements of a play with different officials (ex. One who was watching the receivers feet, another who was watching the catch and yet a third who saw him forced out earlier in the play). They can huddle and y’all all day, but ultimately, they have to make a call. And that call wins, by default, unless overridden by video evidence.

It works the way you want it to, and should, right now.

11. Ssmiff

Lsu qb sees a lot and quickly. Go zone and he will pick you apart 7 yards at a time. Go man and hes gonna find his Biletnikoff winner or throw it up against your worst 1 v 1 matchup.
    Haven't seen a college QB play like him in awhile. Maybe clemson can confuse him with some pressure and an early bad read but he looks like hes playing vs JV most of the year.
    I do think Venables will send 5 and more quite often and go down swinging.

12. Tenacious D

That’s all I could think to do - get pressure on him and hope for the best. But that’s always my go-to, as I’m never, ever, ever for allowing any QB to just stand back there, unhurried and unafraid.

The problem is that if SEC teams couldn’t get pressure on him, I don’t think Clemson will, either.

If they’re going to beat me, it’s because they just made plays, but with a defender bearing down and hitting them to the echo of the whistle. It damned sure won’t be because I’m sitting back and hoping they don’t see someone and am hoping not to lose.

13. Ssmiff

Ga and OK both rushed 3 way too many times and gave up big plays everytime as wrs break off routes and adjust. Dbs can't guard zone that long. I'd send 5 or 6 and squat on routes but I'm gonna get killed up top more than likely

NashVol11 likes this.
  14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Problem with that is LSU had a damn good line on top of having a damn magician at QB. Even when pressured Burrow has had great protection nearly all year.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  15. Tenacious D

Not a knock on LSU, or certainly Burrow...but if I had to win, I’d send as many and for as long as it took in order to find out how good Burrow’s backup was.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And they'll have 49 at the half again. Burrow is having the best single season in football history, but he's almost got more weapons than anyone too.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He always finds the guy in 1 on 1 and makes it catchable. The receivers rarely lose those battles

18. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Y'all know what's crazy.

Burrow's not even the best QB in the game.......

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Gimme Sanders' 1988 season.

InVolNerable and NashVol11 like this.
  20. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Venables will pull something out of his ass. That Still might not be enough though. Auburn is the only team that was able to hold LSU somewhat in check. They did it by consistently getting pressure just bringing four.