Our biggest fears have been confirmed

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorthGaVol, Sep 23, 2014.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

To be fair he did say media clinic, and let's be honest here, the media around these parts are in fact, idiots.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

That's called a ****ing DIVE. And we utilize that play despite it being all wrong for our personnel. Over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over....

Justin Worley is obviously a dumbass.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Perhaps he should hold a clinic for opposing defenses teaching them that they should not be keying on our running back. They apparently don't understand it either.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Beautiful statement.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

This is either a bad attempt by a HC and QB to cover the OCs ass, or this is the beginning of what will be the norm from Butch when his Grand Valley State assistants produce a Div II product.

6. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

either way, not good

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This, all day.

And this isn't even the first time this season that he's been asked to talk about this particular play, either.

HH mentioned specifically asking him about it as recently as a few weeks ago, IIRC.

This is a HC trying his best to not emasculate his QB by admitting the painfully obvious - Worley is legit afraid to keep the ball and run.

He, or anyone else, can sit and break film down with me until the cows come home, but that's not going to help. I'd simply ask him to start with the Arky St. game, where the DE's were straight crashing inside at the snap on almost every play, and where Worley would have ran 10-15 yards before he could possibly encounter the first defender, and still didn't keep it. Hell, he doesn't even hint at keeping it.

Yes, I think that Worley is soft for being afraid to keep it, but given how obvious that is, we are stupid for continuing to call that play, at all, much less a dozen or more times a game. It's just Butch being stubborn, or allowing Baja to be, and covering for him.

Its a ridiculous play.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Assuming that Worley is afraid to run the ball, isn't there a pass option or two that can be thrown off of that play?

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

They have a couple they have shown but not often.

Im of the impression they want to keep the true "read option" (where the QB reads and has the option on each play designed to do so) at a minimum because they dont think 1. Worley reads it well. 2. He's not a threat but for a handful of yards. 3. They don't want him hurt.

That doesn't excuse the idea they should make basic adjustments to get the RB downhill with the football quicker which will minimize an OL that is getting rolled up.

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

All I got out of this is it just seems like Jones is sick of hearing the same damned question over and over again. Saban even got a bit feisty when retarded alabama reporters just kept asking about Kiffin.

What's he going to say? "Worley is our only real option at QB. When/if he goes down we don't have any good options behind him so we've told him not to keep it".

The only thing I have a problem with, as others on here do as well, is we keep round peg/square holing this thing. It doesn't work. It's not viable. Stop doing this Big East shit. If you don't have a QB that you feel comfortable holding the ball on runs or the QB doesn't feel comfortable with holding the ball on runs... stop running the damned thing.

It takes long to develop and the D keys in on the RB as that's the only "option".

Bajakian would honestly be a decent OC if he would cut this crap out. Almost every time we have a WR open on a designed deep route and Worley sees it so he's reading his keys. He just... misses the pass every time.

11. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I like the pass option plays they've run.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

pass option plays are sexy. I remember one they ran against Arky State that was dropped. It would have been a huge gain had it not been.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

any of them. TE over the top of the LBs is there all day every day.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know if Worley can consistently do that without either leaving someone out to dry or being picked from inaccuracy.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Agreed and it's wide damn open all game long

16. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

Just put Worley under center and put Downs in the backfield as a full back. I guarantee our run game would improve dramatically.

17. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

That's almost exactly the thought I had in my head for our 3rd and 2 from the 4 fiasco.

Downs at FB. Extra OT in as a TE. Run to strong-side.

I know being a backseat monday morning QB and all that but jesus we have 2 plays for 2 yards and then 4 plays for the other 2 yards.

Or at least play-action like you're going to run it and surprise pass it to Downs. I know he just wants to block but there's a rolling stones song about that.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I agree in principle, but we don't have starting OT's much less extra ones

19. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Just find the fattest guy on the team, tell him to get in someone's way, and then smack him on the ass.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  20. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

You'd think Blair could at least handle that.