Our Defense

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Aug 22, 2017.

1. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

how's the defense going to look after our offense has a first half full of 3-and-outs?

...that's my only real question.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Already have Chance Hall and Josh Smith hurt. Can't expect our defense to hold up with all these injuries.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Shoop is apparently spending most his time with this group. He has guys at the other positions that can coach so his focus is more on LB's right now. Should help out.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That's going to be the biggest problem.

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I see this season going like '05.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You guys know how it will go. It will be exactly one game better, probably even one play, than what it would take to fire Butch.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Shoot me now.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

As in, we'll end up beating UF or UGA or maybe even LSU based on one of them doing something completely dumbassed at the end of the game and us just lucking out. Nonetheless, the victory will catapult Butch to a sixth season everyone knows will be a third in the division type year.

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

We throttle Vandy to capture that 8th win, fan base will spend entire offseason talking about playoff run in'18.

10. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

just so long as I get to cheer about a preseason ranking in the top 25 four years in a row baby!

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Unfortunately, Butch's offense loves producing the sub-30-second variety of 3-and-outs, which is exactly what you don't want to do against an offense like GA Tech's.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'm really really really concerned with our edge against GA Tech.

And that's considering with the dive we only have two MLBs. Our offense is gonna have to sustain some drives or it could be a very ugly second half.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm to the point where I expect Shoop to save us, have a very good seasin, bolt after it, then we are stuck with butch 2 more years.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That's a nightmare that can definitely happen.

15. CardinalVol

I expect 8-4ish range.

Would not be completely or totally shocked if we got to 10 wins. Again - I AM NOT EXPECTING IT - but I do think Shoop is that good if our offense doesn't hit 05 or 08 levels of ineptitude. I don't even think offense has to be good, just not totally suck, and it can happen.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Was thinking about how we are locked in on no worse than 6-6, but very unlikely to go better to do better than 8-4. 9-3, 10-2, and 11-1 seem interchangeably unrealistic. It's 6 to 8 wins and a bowl for butch from now until he's gone.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Welcome to Dolphins football, my friends. Enjoy your stay in Limbo.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If Kelly stays healthy, he's worth 8 wins. If the defense is as good as people expect it to be, there's at least one more win.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Tennessee go 10-2, but 6-6 wouldn't surprise me either.

There's only 3 teams with more talent than Tennessee on the schedule and Butch has a 2 game win streak against one of them.

19. CardinalVol

Yup, losses to any of Tech, Florida, Georgia, Carolina (let's not forget Muschamp owns Butch), Bama, Kentucky*, or LSU would not surprise me.

* - I put Kentcky in here because it's a road game after a hard stretch of games and the team could be in "f it" mode by that point. And if we're sitting at 4+ losses at that point I'm not entirely sure I won't want it to happen either.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Seriously, Mizzou and UK suck. I don't give a shit about their coaching staffs or their recruits, they suck.

Georgia Tech runs an unorthodox offense, but they just booted their best running back and don't have a qb.

Indiana State? UMASS? Okay

Southern Miss can play, but they don't have the horses.

Georgia has recruiting hype, a Stafford clone and two oft injured tailbacks.

Florida hasn't recruited that well and lost the majority of their defense built by Muschamp to the NFL. Also, 38-0

South Carolina has Muschamp and what looks to be a really good but young offense. Butch is also 0-3 against Muschamp

Butch is 2-2 against Vanderbilt. They still have Ralph Webb.

LSU and Alabama are 3 scores better than Tennessee

So, Butch has to break .500 or his Muschamp curse or actually beat a team with more talent for 10-2 to come true.