Our Defense

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Aug 22, 2017.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Once again, my hope is for a 10-2 type season only to see Butch bolt at the end of the year.

It's the absolute best case scenario for us. Go out, hire a coach, keep the recruiting rolling and take another step next year.

All this said, I agree with most that Butch does just enough to keep his job, no one wants him, so we're stuck with him and we likely lose our good assistants.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I surely get why all of you guys don't like Butch for various reasons. Really though, if Dobbs hits Byrd in the flat against the Aggies or we don't hand them the ball 6 more times, which is on the players, and hits Kelly in the flat against SC instead of game ending horrible read and throw, we win 11 games and Butch would be lauded by many even though his coaching didn't change a bit. I'm not trying to say you are wrong or kiss Butch's ass or anything. I'm just discussing and I know about "if's", but imo that's the fine line of some coaches "getting the job done" or not, oftentimes.

3. Ssmiff

I think Shoop is going to have Ga's number as long as they are in pro style offense with immobility at qb. Bama, ky, mizzou, aggies, etc killed us with running qb's. Give me a statue back there, even with a big arm, and I like our chances. Ga fans I know like their backup qb

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Every coach in America faces those issues. The good ones beat the crap out of shit teams like Vandy and SC so badly it doesn't matter if their QB makes a stupid read at one point in the game. Also, for every bad read Dobbs made, you can point to multiple times he bailed out a terrible play call by scrambling around five defenders and making a first down all on his own.

If we are going to play the one play goes the other way here and there, we could take away last year's UGA and Appy State wins, too. Then Butch is probably out. Might even be able to argue he'd have been out in 2015 had the UGA and USC games gone the other way.

5. BigOrangeBeech

The thing is, we've said "if" through Butch's entire career.

What if, we hold on and beat OU in 15. Likewise with UF. What if we sacked Coker on that play during their last drive when we would have had him down for a 15 yard loss, but somehow he gained a couple of yards on the play.

What if we had 11 win seasons the last two years like we should have? I certainly be off Butch's back, but those what ifs are just that. They didn't happen. He's had multiple chances to show he's something more than just a recruiter and slogan barker but he's fallen short every time.

He'll do the same this year with a talented enough roster to win 10 games.

But who we gunna git? Gunna set the program back 10 years if we fire Butch. We should be happy with 8-4 seasons.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We've had issues with fumbles butche's whole time here. That's not just on the players.

7. Ssmiff

I get all that.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

And the true insanity of it all is a sizeable portion of the fan base seems ready to give Butch a pass this season because we lost some guys that never accomplished much more than giving us some of those "what if" seasons. It's like the idea that they gave us the possibility of a great season is as good as having actually had one.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also Dobbs's QB issues look pretty bad for our coaching staff. Worley, Peterman, Dobbs, all had their problems. None of them got better and Peterman turned into a world beater after he left. He was the worst UT QB I've ever seen.

Hard to really gauge Riley Ferguson, but I always thought he looked pretty bad in scrimmages, at least. He's turned out pretty productive for Memphis. QB, LB, and OL play have been issues for a long time. We've recruited scads of four and five star guys at those spots, so hard to say it's all on the players.

10. Ssmiff

I hang around a group of vol fans and nobody is happy with 8 wins and not playing in the SEC. Couple of them can't wait for Butch to leave and flat out dislike him. I think wondering who we would get is valid as it would be a tough sell telling a coach he needs to win 10 each year or he's gone. Nobody is a sure thing either, outside of Saban, Peterson and Urban. It will work itself out I suppose. I'd like us to win now to enjoy it. My gas is running low.

11. Ssmiff

Kamara's was from effort after 50 yard run. Croom just mishandled his ball. Dobbs tried to pick up and run with 2 fumbles and got neither and his last throw of the game was horrible. Those particular plays are on the player in that game, imo.

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

The sloppy play was a growing trend.

We were also a couple ifs away from being 6-6, so let's just stick with 8-4.

13. BigOrangeBeech

All I'd like to see is the administration pony up, fork out some money and at least freaking try to make us good again.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Chip Kelly is as close to a sure thing as there is right now. I don't think a coach would be scared to come here. Kirby Smart turned down multiple offers then went to Athens after they fired a guy that won ten games. We've got talent on the roster, top notch resources, and the division is so weak as to be an embarrassment to the SEC. Also, in state talent has improved drastically and Butch has shown that a guy who wasn't previously known as a big time recruiter can come here and land a lot of coveted prospects.

15. Ssmiff

i'm not giving a pass. We should be more accurate and on time at qb and our wr's will get hit in the hands and in stride more often. We have fast and strong rbs. Speed at wr and should have the best OL in years. DL across the board could be strong. LB scary. Good at db now with speed and confidence and Martin is balling out. We are deeper than we have been and will be coached better in several areas. OC is a concern but it will be a team effort and hopefully they give QD leeway and time to audible. He can see things Dobbs can't. If that equals 8 wins then start the search.

16. Ssmiff

true on both. Long time no talk. Hope all is well.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's hard for me to imagine 8 wins gets him out, unless one of the losses is a blowout to Vandy at home in the finale, which just really stretches the limits of my imagination.

18. Ssmiff

Yes Chip Kelly would be cool. Scott Frost as well. Not a guarantee but from the coaching tree and young guy with more personality to deal with obstacles without irritating people as much

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If worst comes to worst and we are stuck with Butch through 18, that at least gives us a couple of years to see what Fickell is capable of at UC.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Got Ohio State to a bowl game in his first season as a head coach. What more do you need to know? He's perfect in every way.