Our Defense

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Aug 22, 2017.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

We were 8-4 last year. We lost our starting quarterback, our best receiver, our best linebacker, our best DB, our two best running backs, and maybe the best DLineman in school history.

I'm having a hard time understanding how we can be appreciably better this year.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think we've upgraded at a lot of position coaching positions. Larry Scott people seem to be high on, but he's never been an OC.

Just kind of highlights why Butch will never win big. He only makes changes when his ass is on the line. Not willing to can obviously inferior guys like Mahoney and Martinez until he himself gets in the crosshairs. So now we've wasted some once in a generation talent and some of these players that aren't as good will get some decent coaching and maybe it all evens out into more mediocrity. Hooray!

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

This is where I'm at as well.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I don't think we are going to have trouble scoring. Too many weapons and too much speed on the field. Defense stopping the run and turnovers of course will be the difference.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also, I don't think LSU at home that late in the year is the scariest thing in the world. I really don't believe anyone in Baton Rouge is all that excited or confident about Ed Orgeron. The season could get away from him and he might roll into Knoxville with a lot more to deal with than just one game against the Vols.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It would not be the first time if we schemed our offense right out of the game.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Maybe not, but he arguably has the best duo of coordinators in the country. If he will take the CEO approach and let them do their job, he will win.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I still don't think Cam Cameron was a bad OC, but he couldn't get anything going there. Their offense is just cursed.

And Orgeron is just someone I could see having some baffling loss to one of the Mississippi schools.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Cameron was doing exactly what he was told to do by Miles.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Coach O made comments to the contrary.

11. Ssmiff

Butch has never been overly involved with defense. Last year is the time when he needed to step up and do something differently down the stretch. Shoop admitted to sticking with his plan even with the injuries and lack of skill. We obviously needed to adapt and didn't and that's on Butch for not having a hand in doing something to stop Vandy. We scored 30+ and then only got 4 possessions in the 2nd half. Vandy ran @ 5 different plays and we sat there and watched it happen.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He didn't get involved because he doesn't have a damn clue what goes on on the defensive side of the ball.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

As opposed to the offensive side? :p

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The db and lb played in 3 games.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Guice and Key are two of the best players in the country. O has two of the best coordinators in the country as well.

16. Ssmiff

what is up man. You still striping the ball? And yes he is clueless about it. Wish he wasn't.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Those guys plus an even better RB were there for the guy that just got canned. I think the expectations are awfully high for him already and a lot of people were probably disappointed that they missed out on Herman and had to settle for an interim with an awful record as HC. Things could get nasty if he stumbles. Now, if they roll into Knoxville with 9 wins, they probably crush us.

18. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Their coordinators will make up for it.

Orgeron admitted that his first go around at HC going miserably was all on him; not letting his coaches coach the way they wanted to.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They quit on Miles in 2015 and I like Cam Cameron, but Matt Canada has had a lot of success in college.

Orgeron admitted he was a control freak at Ole Miss and now he's relaxed a little. We'll see, but he's got everything in place to be no worse than 2nd in the west for a long time

20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Sutton 7, JRM 4. And when they were out, or limited, our defense looked not so good.