POLITICS Our medical system is now a viral street gag

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Dec 3, 2019.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Where do you see the system needs more competition? In the actual healthcare or the insurance side? Both?

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Being 1,000% sincere and not one ounce smartass - there needs to be as much possible competition at every single point and in every single phase of healthcare.

Any law or regulation that protects or insulates the healthcare industry from competition of any kind, or which subdues the rise of even greater competition should be removed, insofar as such does not jeopardize the general public’s welfare.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

how might one do that?

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

State’s should get out of the business of having to approve new hospitals, testing sites and medical facilities - I’m not talking about whether they meet standards, just whether or not it’s permissible to even build one.

The prohibition of insurances competing across state lines is the stupidest shit, ever, and should be immediately done away with.

Every medical facility should be required to publicly post their pricing for the Top 100 treatments they provide - immediately alongside the low cost leader for that particular area in those same fields.

If there was ever a time that I would support the government kicking the living shit out of a private industry, it’d be healthcare.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

And this is without people even noticing that insurance is actually nothing more than price fixing.

Oh, wow, I pay the same price regardless of which doctor I visit. Isn't this great?

No. That's price fixing.

IP and Tenacious D like this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

my mother has a health saving account. she pays more for services with cash than the insurance pays, and this ticks her off. We shouldn't stand for it.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

why? I have the exact same situation. Hsas are great. Direct tax deduction. If she’s unhealthy she shouldn’t be in an hsa plan and should pay for a better one.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

she's healthy. The cost shouldn't be based on who is paying.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

then she is in a great plan for her. why not?