OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Might make a mess or spill something on the couch. And we don't let our kids eat on the couches, but on occasion, pull up their smaller chairs and eat at coffee table.

She's also the lady that had the room no one could actually go in before they moved to LA (state, not city) and I assume will have one when they finally finish their house.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

huh?

3. CardinalVol

Yup. She had a room no one was allowed in except for a had-to basis. It was the fancy living room (whatever you want to call it) with the nice stuff, and no one was allowed there.

justingroves likes this.
  4. NorrisAlan

Did she grow up poor with nothing of her own?

5. CardinalVol

Yup.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

None of you all had a mamaw, great aunt, etc. with a room nobody was allowed in? I always thought it was weird, but not uncommon.

Volst53, justingroves and kmf600 like this.
  7. NorrisAlan

I never have heard of anything like that unless it was say, a den where adults went. But nobody allowed in, with no use other than to look at? No. That is just weird to me, like having a life size dollhouse.

8. CardinalVol

I know of ones where kids weren't allowed unless with an adult, but never one no one was allowed in.

9. NorrisAlan

That said, I imagine it gives order to her otherwise chaotic life and gives her a sense of calm. But to then demand stuff in YOUR house? I am not sure I would survive that on the very first visit.

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I was always amazed people could afford to have a room they did nothing with, let alone fill it with stuff.

utvol0427 likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

I mean, it was a lifestyle for several people, and I somewhat get it. Again, I follow her rules at her house. I might think they are ridiculous, but I follow them.

I just ask for the same respect when she comes to mine.

justingroves likes this.
  12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Both sets of my grandparents were too poor coming up to have a room in their house that wasn't used for something.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm lucky in regards to my MIL. She's not my favorite person, nor I hers, but we've always spoke our mind to each other and it works well. She'll tell me when she thinks I'm parenting wrong, doing something wrong around the house, etc. and either I'll thank her for her input or tell her to shove her opinion up her ass, depending on what it is.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My great grandparents had a room full of random stuff they got when they traveled. It was interesting and you couldn't go in there unless there was an adult with you. My great grandfather liked to take us in there and show us all the random stuff he picked up.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My MIL has a coffee table that was her grandmother's. It's a simple round table with a laminate top. Laminate is cheap and isn't like wood, drinks don't leave rings. She, to this day, raises hell about drinks being put on it because of "rings". It's frickin plastic.

This is also the woman with a roof leak that caused a spot in the ceiling over her upstair's shower. She thought steam caused it and wouldn't let guests use the shower for two years. I found the leak, it was in a valley, by flooding the roof with a hose pipe. I fixed it, then fixed the sheetrock.

She then paid a roofer $800 to come out and "check" what I did.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

in some ways that is better than her not having it checked, a leak developing somewhere else in a few years and her deciding it is your fault.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's true

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

To be fair, what do you know about roofing and/or home construction? Can't imagine that's relevant at all in your line of work...

justingroves likes this.
  19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Should have burnt the house down after that.

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My MIL doesn't speak English, so we don't disagree very often

RockyHill likes this.