OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I love it and like finding excuses to use it.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I read where it could be next week before they get it unstuck.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Jasper Maskelyne, a British illusionist (or the grandson of a very accomplished one, anyway), helped hide the Suez Canal during WWII to keep it from being bombed by the Axis.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, so they're good and [uck fay]ed then.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

yeah. That looks bad. I am shocked at the plain dirt walls on that thing, I figured it would have concrete sides, not that it would have completely mattered with a billion ton ship plowing into it.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I mean, I read and understand how it happened, but I am still amazed that it still happened.

God that captain has to feel like a complete and total idiot.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's been around for a long time, and in that time ships have probably quadrupled in size or more.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's where i'm at too. i think the negative effect is greatly overstated, but it can screw up waterways and such. Yeah i knew there was fracking already on federal land.

i know nothing about lease rates

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are over 20 million acres that are leased but not yet developed. Why? Because, at least in the case of BLM, it is only $1.50 an acre per year for the first 5 years, $2.00 after that as a minimum. Millions of acres are leased at these rates. If there is competition, it can increase up to the hundreds of dollars per acre-- which is still a great deal, given the nature of how extraction/exploration occurs (vertically). Royalties are around 12.5%, which is split evenly between the state and the federal government. This is where states get interested, as they're getting 6.25% of revenue with no real skin in the game. If you are a state where there isn't a lot of activity, you don't really care. If you are state where this has become a significant revenue stream for you, any disruption perceived or real is of great concern. Extractive economies are ones dependent on constant growth-- but also by their nature finite in their total potential, either technologically, or eventually physically. So even if we had a total free-for-all, the good times would eventually end and sooner than folks think since it isn't about quantity, but rather continuous positive growth. So the faster you grow, the sooner you run out of room to grow anyway...

I ramble, but you see this pattern all over the world and in history with extraction-based economies. The West is littered with ghost towns but the people of the West don't seem to internalize what makes a ghost town.

droski likes this.
  12. CardinalVol

13. NorrisAlan

14. CardinalVol

15. NorrisAlan

Just saw a video about the Wikipedia game, and it is bizarre. Pick any topic, find the wikipedia page on it, and then start clicking the first clickable link in the body of the page. Continue doing this and eventually you will end up on the Philosophy page.

I put in "Lord of the Rings" and several clicks later, I am on the Philosophy page.

Things like that always intrigue me.

IP likes this.
  16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Three or four jobs ago, I periodically had to work a month of shift work that included 7 days of 12-hr nights. Now there wasn't much to do on those nights, but the one unforgivable sin (well, mostly so) was falling asleep. Our computers were also locked down and limited to work related sites as well. There were a few exceptions including Wikipedia. One of those long nights, I came up with a game based on seven degrees of separation. I would come up with random topics and see if I could get to another article in even clicks or less. Usually I used my hometown as the destination, but sometimes I would choose a celebrity or another person.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Welp if you end up at “language” you are in a “language-spoken language” loop

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Started with Superstore (TV series) and ended up in this loop. Norris is fake news. Sad!

19. NorrisAlan

You are just now figuring this out?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

It has to do with how humans tend to explain things. You drill down through related or connected things, and eventually you are left with just our own thoughts. Because everything is really just us trying to make sense of the universe.