OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

If someone goes in with 10 dollars for x coins, and sells those x coins for 100 dollars, they just extracted 90 dollars from the system and the buyers just put in 100. The buyers are hoping someone else will come along and become the next fool. The greater fool. The money extracted is the only money that is real. So the bag holders have hypothetical money, and that money goes "poof", but it was never backed by anything but the hope of a greater fool coming. It was the step before that was "real," and someone walked away with it. Like with the Luna/Terra coins that have dropped 99% in the last few days- they were essentially drained by sellers, from anyone who didn't sell as quickly or first.

So, in other words at some point the valuation is not backed by new suckers and thus was never real. Hence "poof."

Here is a video with only 5,000 views that explains it.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

What does a vet tech at UT get paid these days?

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Honestly don’t know. Could probably hire a few of them for every administrator tho

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You peons aren't enlightened enough to know how hard it is to be a university dean and how important it is to present a good impression with other higher academic administrators visit so they don't talk poorly about you at cocktail hour.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm guessing a licensed tech makes about 35k in Knoxville. And a new middle-tier admin Probably on average makes 75 to 100k. Just guessing.

And I bet a tech tops out at 60k, and an admin tops out at 250k. So... ya.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

From my lengthy observations, the job is cushy as [uck fay]. They literally dodge or pass off anything tedious to support staff, anything uncomfortable to subordinate admins, chairs, or faculty, and just be sure to look either busy or unavailable. One good way to give that appearance? Have lots of duplicative subordinates! Telling other people to do your job duties becomes the chief use of your time!

7. CardinalVol

Even more so than DC, give me a bottle of jack and a red pen and I could solve a lot of the country's higher ed problems in a weekend. People in the ivory towers ain't gonna like it, but problems would be solved.

justingroves likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Every admin should teach one class every semester. There should not be a ruling class mining the educators and students for money and prestige. Now, add up the number of admins at UTK. I just found 100's of instructors for 100's of classes! Any admin ought to be able to teach a 100 or 200 course in a field they have an advanced degree in, right? RIGHT?

If one class is too much of a burden, then how is faculty supposed to teach 5 or 6 on top of other duties?

gcbvol and CardinalVol like this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

By the way, reading into the formula shortage situation has got me fully smiff-pilled on the FDA now. They need to be forced to be more rational and practical. There is perfectly good formula from the EU made at even higher standards that can't be sold here because of labeling of ingredients. It's madness.

10. CardinalVol

You finally rolling around to why I don't trust federal government to do anything?

justingroves likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

yet the FDA approved this magnet to be placed in cancer tumors under the guidelines of the retrieving wand working with standard metal OR instruments. It does not work with metal and reads every OR instrument within 2 feet, which means surgeons have to remove instrumentation. Not ideal. But the company paid the $ so no problem. FDA believed them and has no idea about instrument interference which can cause misreads and resection issues.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah formula is basically processed junk food for a baby.

the wife and I are about to have a baby in a few days hopefully her milk comes in good.

gcbvol and justingroves like this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

The advice against making formula seems hyperbolic as well. If folks follow the protocols for sterilization and measurements, it is going to hands-down be better than stressing or rationing a baby.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. CardinalVol

16th anniversary. Pretty amazing any one person would agree to willingly put up with me that long.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

The issue is the irrationality that comes in. The lack of agility. Congress and Biden could fix this in hours, fda cannot without their authority.

justingroves likes this.
  16. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Happy Anniversary! Congrats on 16.

CardinalVol likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hot tip for anyone looking into making formula: the bigger the batch the less small measurement error. And look to Dr. Spock or other sources with a known track record. There is a risk but I swear to God pediatricians are in "let them eat cake" mode.

18. CardinalVol

Exactly. And the entire government is handcuffed by it. It may be good in some ways, but in others it isn't. Heck, I'm not worried about our government controlling us, it's not structured enough to be able to do that. It's too ineffective when it needs to be effective.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, I agree. I do fear a strong government, but our weak government is also scary. We need an agile, accountable government. As it is, we pass needed laws and then just wait for the world to change enough for them to become a disaster before revisiting them.

We can trust Canada, Australia, the E.U., the UK, etc as peers. We should be able to pull a lever at any time to allow free trade on targeted items as is found to be useful.

NorrisAlan, gcbvol and CardinalVol like this.
  20. CardinalVol

I want a smaller, strong, laser-focused effective government. Our government is big and bloated. And becoming less effective by the day.