OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My new current fascination is the Barkley Marathon. There is insane, and then there is this. Wow.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Have you watched The Race That Eats Its Young?

3. CardinalVol

Have not.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tenny posted about this a few years ago

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It’s insane. I think like a dozen people have ever completed it. You have to be off just to get involved. I need to watch the documentary again.

6. CardinalVol

We've got 3 on loop 5 and two more have about 40 minutes to complete loop 4.

I'm going to watch it now. I just saw it mentioned on Twitter and got sucked in.

7. CardinalVol

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I bet sonic from Wartburg has never tasted so good

justingroves, IP and CardinalVol like this.
  9. CardinalVol

Depending on what's in that bag he may be regretting that decision when he has to take a pit stop.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I wish I was there participating. Falling flat on my face dead might be a step up in happiness from this remote conference I'm dialed in to.

gcbvol likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

The wiki on this thing is interesting, including entry fee of socks or flannel shirt or whatever the inventor needs and starting the race by lighting. Camel cig.

IP likes this.
  12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Lighting a cig to start an ultramarathon is my favorite thing about it.

13. CardinalVol

The last girl running still hasn't made it back to base as best as I can tell. 4 hours behind the cutoff.

14. CardinalVol

I think the reason it was created is mine. Dude said he could get 100 miles in in the time James Earl Ray got 8.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I also recommend a visit to Brushy Mtn while we are kinda on the subject. They have two tours - self guided and with a guide. If you can get a large enough group together, the guides are totally worth it as the are former guards and inmates.

16. CardinalVol

Our church softball team used to travel to prisons to play the inmates. I've been there, at least the old softball field, but never inside. Best 3B I've ever seen played 3B for that team. Not sure other than The Rock there is a better place for a prison than that place.

justingroves likes this.
  17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If I ever do an ultra 100 (I'm almost laughing here), this race will not be in consideration. I'd rather do the Pinhoti 100. As I told my daughter one time when running an ultra was on the fringe of something I would consider, I would wear that finisher's belt buckle every day including her wedding day. I get this is harder, but it's also a smidge too far past stupid.

gcbvol likes this.
  18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

My old man’s second wife did the Western States 100 a few times. It was before he met her, but her and her friend’s had some stories about it.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Pretty sure you have to be selected to run it and can’t just go try it

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's a silly process that includes writing an essay on why you should be allowed to participate. Another reason to avoid.