Pearl Interview On WBIR.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Nov 13, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff. I will admit he's right about one thing. The more time that passes, the more I remember the good stuff and don't dwell on the nonsense.

2. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Salesman gonna sell.

Dooley will never be able to sell that line though.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

As someone who hit b-ball watching age DeVoe's last year, I will always have positive memories from Pearl.

4. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

he took TN basketball to a whole other level. everyone makes mistakes. i'll always have good memories...

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

The guy was overall great for the basketball program, regardless of his personal issues. Hard to dislike the guy for putting us back on the map following his disastrous predecessors.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Best thing to happen to Bruce Pearl was Cuonzo Martin.

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Dooley never won anything.

Pearl was a circus unto himself, but he won games, he won championships, and he put together a deep tournament run. I won't pretend that I think that is the way it should be done, but there was a substantial amount of good that came with the bad. Dooley's ledger is substantially more one-sided.

8. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

I'm glad we got martin now ,he will be here a long time.

9. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

To think of all the time I spent arguing with you two about this.....

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Me too.

The Pearl years were fun, expecting to win each game as they tipped off. Moving on, though, I am hopeful for Martin in a way that I was for O'Neill and not Green or Peterson. I still have some skepticism that Martin will be the one to deliver great things, he certainly won't tread into mediocrity or, worse, Dooley territory.

11. PoochPunt3rdDown

I like Martin infinitely more than I do Pearl at this point. That mofo Pearl burned me, and I took it completely personally. That said, I believe Martin will be great for the program in all facets, especially come tournament time.

12. PoochPunt3rdDown

Pearl can suck my [penis]. I hope he's a terrible commentator.

13. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

No, you spent a great deal of time trying to tell us he was an honorable guy and his garbage system could win. The circumstances of his exit proved the first proposition was nonsense and the fact his greatest accomplishment came after scrapping his beloved controlled idiocy laid waste to the other.

14. PoochPunt3rdDown

You, undoubtedly, know more about basketball coaching and where the basketball coaches are sticking their ding dongs than I do.

15. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I hope Martin reaches Pearl's level of achievement but I doubt it. If we get Gruden no one will care or notice anyway.

16. all VOL y'all

all VOL y'all New Member

Bruce Pearl is all about Bruce Pearl

I'm thankful for what coach did for UT, and hopeful (if not optimistic that Cuonzo can build upon it), but there's a reason why the rest of the college basketball world hated / hates him so much. And there's a reason why his shelf life here was as short as it was. And his run was close to over. Pearl will always be a wonderful, energizing underdog. Which is why he was able to build something so quickly here. But he's way better as an underdog than as a favorite. Which is why there wasn't much more (IMO) that he could have done for this program. Regardless, at the end of the day, when it's all said and done with, the biggest thing on Bruce Pearl's agenda has always been and will always be Bruce Pearl.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah, because nobody cared or took notice that Jerry Green squandered perhaps the most loaded rosters UT had ever had during the height of out football run. As far as Martin reaching Pearl's level, it might be tough, but keep in mind that the average coach would struggle to go .500 with the current roster.

18. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I agree but he has to improve that roster. I am in no way ready to throw out Martin but progress in recruiting will be needed soon.

19. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

He has signed two five star guys and AJ Davis will be a pro if he improves mentally.

20. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I think Kentucky is signing 2-4 of these per year. It is relative to your competition. Again, I like Martin so far but I am not convinced he is taking us to the land of milk and honey.