People vs OJ

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kmf600, Feb 3, 2016.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yet people still do it. . . why?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Because it is fools gold. Perhaps you get frustrated and whip out the red hot pokers. Or you are angry and want revenge. Or you are simply a sadist.

People rub rabbits feet for luck. We know that has zero effect on the outcome of anything. But people have been doing that kind of thing for thousands upon thousands of years, so it must work.

I think your logical leap here is rather long and off the mark.

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I would like to play horseshoes and hand granades

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

People still do a lot of things that don't make a lot of sense. People believe in supernatural things. Torture is great for forcing statements and intimidation, but not for getting actionable information.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so a bunch of trained professionals who simply want accurate information like the cia and kgb did this because they are sadists, not because it works? sorry I don't buy it.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Both also had psychic research programs.

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

So why do I drink a Jim Beam and coke and watch the game in a different room than my wife does for Vols games? Should I be rubbing a lucky rabbit's foot too?

8. NorrisAlan

Absolutely! I mean, its the vols. If there is a .00000001% chance it works, you do it.

9. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I've sure tried to beat them. Thought "man there is absolutely no way they'll be able to tell my lies." They get me every single time, and it's not even close. Maybe im bad at it but amazes me every time.

10. NorrisAlan

I should make the disclaimer that all of my knowledge on the subject is from documentaries. That said, I think the danger of false positives and false negatives really make the technology suspect at best.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I was 13-14 at the time, so while understood what was going, I wasn't old enough to process AND remember a lot of this case. So I'm looking forward to this. I remember watching the verdict in class.

At the time this guy was larger than life to a young teenager. He was still freaking Nordberg for god sakes.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Just have to torture them some more to get them to tell you which statements were lies.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're wrong.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Read better. He actually said nothing. He equivocated for the entire article and never actually stated what he was clearly dying to state.

16. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

17. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

The Pakistani physician helped the CIA run a fake hepatitis vaccine program to try to extract DNA to determine if Bin Laden lived at the compound in question. We left him high and dry and is rotting in a prison for the next 30 years. That is far worst than torture and we are doing nothing to free him.
    Enhanced interrogations were used to get leads to where they found the alleged compound of Bin Laden in Pakistan. Their major break was obtaining the identity of the courier for Bin Laden through advanced interrogations. Leon Panetta admitted this helped lead to Bin Laden's eventual whereabouts.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

So you use torture to find out something you already know. Interesting.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I think is closer to reality. We don't really know, but I do believe we screwed a physician there. I do know that the advanced interrogation provides tons of intel. I do know that we got a lot of Intel from the imprisoned guys. If a dill hole like Panetta has to finally admit it, it's real. Obama didn't can the program because he knows the value.

20. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Perhaps we should get a volunteer from the board to see if water boarding works. Who's up for it?