People who constantly quote bible verses

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Peking duck and curry are going to dominate Hell's kitchen.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The hammer to the head approach in religious conversion attempts is never correct. It creates animosity and a feeling of being attacked. I am no saint by any stretch, but I believe and I share with others. If they say they don't want to hear any of it, fine. I will only let them know that I would be willing to discuss, not argue, any questions/concerns that they wish to discuss. I let them know that they have someone who will not judge or browbeat. I will listen and answer in accord to my understanding of the matter. That's how I see my 'job' in respect to my religion. I am to share not berate. It is not my job to 'convict' or 'win' any souls. That's the job of a power far greater than I could ever imagine.

3. WM

WM Active Member

I haven't run into this as much as you seem to have. What I have found annoying lately is all of the Marilyn Monroe misquotes from mainly girls on Facebook.

4. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i know a few girls who post bible verses on fb. funny considering their life consists of them sleeping with any guy that shows them any interest

5. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

The girls I know that post verses everyday were the ones that were huge whores all through high school/college before dropping out. Most of them had a kid so apparently, Jesus can be found in the delivery room.

6. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I need names snake

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Expounding on your theory, a friend who works for Dept. Children's Services (DCS) has told me that it's commonplace for unwed mothers to list, "Jesus" (or some variation) as the father of any children of uncertain paternity - even on "official" court / state / federal documents.

Cardinal will have to check the legality of this within the tax code, but I'd say that Jesus could get a windfall of dependent deductions, if he filed a return.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Solid.

9. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

[​IMG]

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think a lot of the issue underlying the entire problem is that from ages 13-18, 90% of the church youth groups in America teach the following -

1. Don't have sex
    2. Don't drink
    3. Be good moral girls and boys

Instead of teaching that Jesus and the Gospel, churches teach a message of moral behavior. Granted, teaching moral behavior isn't a bad thing per se, but you are doing nothing but creating a fun group of either modern day Pharisees or kids that are going to lose it when they get a dose of freedom (or, in odd cases like me, a bit of both). Of course, while we are at it, we preach Democrats are bad and gays are hellbent on destroying America (yet Christian divorces are at a nice 50%).

The youth graduate high school and do the following

a) grow tired of it or realize that they aren't "good enough" and quit going, and honestly I can't really blame them.
    b) go away, meet people who might be gay, a liberal, etc., realize they aren't evil personified, and start to question what they are taught and fall away
    c) stick with it and become the next generation of Pharisees.

It's not like this in every church, but it is in too many. The church doesn't focus enough on what the Bible is about, the Gospel, and instead focuses on everything else.

Just my 2 cents.

JayVols likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

Gee-sus of Hey-ceus?

Big difference, IMO.

12. JayVols

Gotta give a brotha an AMEN!

13. CardinalVol

While on topic, I would like to recommend the book, The Prodigal God, by Tim Keller. 75ish pages that gives a different look at the parable of the parable of The Prodigal Son. Whether you are a Christian or not, it's worth the read.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Too long.

15. JayVols

And that's why you are a parable fan, huh? Short and to the point. Zero fluff.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

twss.

17. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

And he breatheth into the nostrils of Adam on the first day and it was good. (Genesis: Book 2, Verse 3)

18. CardinalVol

19. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

didn't read it because it was long

20. JayVols