People who constantly quote bible verses

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Feb 21, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We Calvinists refer to it as sovereignty of God. :)

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

A Calvinist, Card?

I'd prefer that you agree to identify yourself simply as a, "Mormon", instead, thereby allowing my all-encompassing term for crackpot theology to remain universally applicable.

Church fight! Church fight!

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Neocalvinist to be exact (not to be confused with Neo-Calvinist)

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't mind the bible verses, but hate the like if you really love god/Jesus post.

I also believe that most people that post bible verses and act overly religious are mostly seeking attention.

5. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

It annoys me too....I typically ignore said person/s.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, the only way I could possibly disagree with the prevailing logic of the Western World these last 1500 years of recent human history is if it were the result of childhood trauma.

Clearly, I would never believe in a god even if the evidence were overwhelming. That's definitely my calling-card in all things.

I'll ask Santorum why I should worry or challenge the beliefs of others. I'm sure he'll have a good answer.

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Depends on the intent.

If its about you, you are leaving out the most important part and for the sake of getting too confusing your wrong.

If its about spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ as you are instructed to do, you are right and should never falter from that.

8. Beechervol

IP, TD, among others bring back some great memories on such topics.

This place is truly home now.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Far far far too often it's an attention whore.

10. Tenacious D

I'm not sure where I associated it with "childhood trauma".

But you'd undoubtedly know better than I from where or whay it did/did not result from. I stand corrected.

So, how might you otherwise and best explain what you could possibly gain from entering into these religious debates, or the pot shots you seem to enjoy taking at believers? As misguided, inept and as in/correct as they may or may not be - they at least have the cause of conversion to affix their actions. I wonder what your aim might be, if not simply to chide, belittle and attempt to disprove their own beliefs? If that's the case, we've largely escaped the realm of the theological, and should focus on the psychological aspects, instead.

Perhaps I'm being too vague - there's a lot going on here - so, to we'll use your self-described delight in quoting scripture to contradict and confound Christians. What's the outcome that you seek in doing that? What does it gain you, and at what cost does it cause them to incur (in the unlikely event you've cared to consider that, at all)?

Perhaps you mean to undo their own conversion? To enlighten and/or correct them? I certainly don't want to make the same mistaken assumptions about your motives, again, and so I ask.

11. Tenacious D

I "get" that Beech - whether I agree with the compulsion to convert others or not, or to what extent, is another matter altogether - but my question is more for the atheist(s), insofar as what their need / desire in opposing it may be.

The Christian reasoning is well-established, but the atheists remains largely a mystery.

12. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

I'm not trying to gang up on IP here, but this is just an observation with what he has said, and what other non believers have said. I have a couple of friends who share the same beliefs as IP, and they are quick to belittle someone for believing. I'm just curious why in the 2 people I know and IP they share this same trait. What is it about Christianity that makes you want to take shots at believers? I am just trying to get a better feel from where everyone is coming from.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Even if the intent is good, i very much doubt that a single person has started the process of conversion from reading bible quotes off a facebook account. If anything people tend to ignore people who drone on and on about it. the best way to go at it, imo, is to help people in need of guidence or in tough situations.

14. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Well as a Baptist pastor, I see things a little different. It was plainly told in the Bible to go out and make disciples of all nations. But before this is done, I believe that a person has to get his own house in order first. Its hard at times to live in this world and live a life that is pure. But it can be done, I try not to put myself in a position that I will fall, doesn't always work, but I try. I have had quite a few conversations with IP, and I too, do not understand why people who do not believe in God want to waste their time trying to convince others that theres not. Seems to me that this is just the opposite of a Christian that is trying to lead someone to Christ.

We all have to come to a conclusion on our own. Faith cannot be forced on anyone. I can't make the first person accept or reject Christ. That has to come from God. Not all will answer His call and I understand this. Its just planting a seed and nothing more.

Salvation for those who have had the experience, understand what happens and those that haven't will never understand it. Its how a Christian comes to the understanding that there is a God. Again each person has to make their own choice.

15. WM

WM Active Member

I would like to hear more about Mormons and their magic underwear.

16. Tenacious D

There isn't a collection of ant number of person(s) who could gang up on IP, at least with any success. But for someone so intellectual, seemingly fair-minded and even-keeled, man, he dislikes him some religious folk. I simply wonder where that originates, and what compels him to act on it.

Fun? Enlightenment? I'm sure that there is a reason, but it escapes me.

17. Beechervol

I agree with that. It makes it harder for those that do not have those intentions.

18. Beechervol

That was strictly directed toward the OP and the "verses" post.

Im not gonna dig too deep into what atheists motivations are in debating are arguing against something that they do not believe exists. Im sure that changes from person to person.

19. Beechervol

Some times the verses and intent is sent toward other believers as well. I don't frequent FB very much, but I know several people from church that use it more as a way to communicate with other believers, and not necessarily for outreach or aggravation as some see it.

20. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

To put it bluntly, as one of my most brilliant professors would say, "creationism" and Christianity are crap. IPOrange seems to be more educated and more intellectually powerful than others. JMO. VFL.