Persuan Gulf Will Be Too Hot For Humans By Century's End

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Oct 28, 2015.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...temperatures-to-lethal-extremes-report-warns/

Interesting study. How do you handicap a human uninhabitability race between New Orleans (due to it being underwater) v. the Persian Gulf (due to it being too hot). Vegas should set odds.

I also wonder how accurate these projections are as far as when they predict certain weather related events might happen.

And what happens when the temperature is too hot for human habitability? Actually, I guess the same thing that happens to people who die because they sit too long in the sauna or steam room. A slow burn to death (essentially) doesn't sound like the loveliest way to go. Definitely not as awesome as death by drowning due to underwater cunnilingus.

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Meh... I remember back in the 90's Ted Danson bleating about how the oceans we're going to dry up by 2000 if we didn't do something about global warming (or cooling... I can't remember which but I wish the scaremongers could make up their minds on this...). All the doomsday predictions that have been made in the name of making everybody live in Adobe huts and suck dirt for nutrition never seem to make it to fruition...

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Ted Danson is not a scientist.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But he played one on TV.

5. Savage Orange

Neither is Al Gore but folks seem to take him at his word...

6. NorrisAlan

Gore and any Hollywood types are just regurgitating (and often with gross hyperbole) what they read.

The science behind it is 150+ years old. Read the science for yourself.

7. Savage Orange

I'm not debating that the climate is changing. My skepticism is based on the root cause of it. The climate has been changing ever since it was created. I just find it curious that whenver eggheads get together to discuss the subject, it always seems to wind up being America's fault.

8. NorrisAlan

It isn't America's fault. It is humanity's fault.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

America is a leader. Leader's lead. It isn't to say it is "American's fault." It is to say "take the lead."

10. Savage Orange

So you don't think there is any sociopolitical agenda at all behind this? It's all settled science? Sorry, no sale.

11. NorrisAlan

Why?

12. Unimane

If people take Gore at his word, then it's their fault for being morons. Gore is a spokesperson or advocate, not a scientist. There is plenty of information from qualified individuals that will validate the concerns regarding human influenced climate change.

13. Unimane

Not that it's necessarily been charged as solely America's fault by scientists, but are you saying that your patriotism overrides any scientific conclusion? Sure, there's been some amount of political agendas at play, as with any issue, but that doesn't change the fact that human influences on climate change is true.

14. Savage Orange

The notion that there is "consensus" is absurd. If the science were settled and unassailable (and not being shouted from the rooftops by verifiable moonbats) it would be one thing. Any time the reaction to any question of a subjects reliability is hysteria and name calling (climate change skeptics are routinely referred to as backward, stupid, nazis, neocons etc.) you are going to lose me. Be it politics, religion, climate change or practically anything... There are always going to be alternate viewpoints and if the science behind climate change were as settled and universally agreed upon as say.... Hatred of Alabama fans it would be one thing but there are too many reasons to question the validity and motivations of the "man made climate change as unassailable fact" crowd for me to buy in without question...

15. Savage Orange

And an equal amount from qualified people to refute the notion. Until there is reasonable consensus I'll be cautious about accepting any opinion one way or the other as "fact". What really keeps me from buying in is the level of hysteria from CC adherents... Any time scaremongering is the primary weapon of choice to advance a veiwpoint my skepticism meter goes into the red for sure....

16. NorrisAlan

Nothing in science is unassailable. That is the beauty and power of it.

If it isn't humans causing the spike in temperatures, what is causing it? We have yet to get any kind of verifiable and testable reason for the warming outside of human CO2 emissions. The climate has changed since the earth was formed 4.5 billion years ago. Constantly. But we have reasons for it.

There is no reason outside of humanity that can explain what we are seeing, that we know of. The skeptics seem to refute any data or science given as bunk, but why? I would argue it is as politically and socially motivated as anything. Same with evolution and why many Christians in the USA refuse to believe it.

17. NorrisAlan

There has been horrible PR associated with the dissemination of information regarding climate change. I will grant you that.

I equate it to the scare tactics parents use against their children. They are so concerned for what will happen to them they go straight to the worst case scenarios. And it is rarely effective.

18. Savage Orange

I admit that I am neither a scientist or an expert on much of anything for that matter and what I think means practically zilch, but I do have a pretty finely tuned bullshit detector inside me. Sometimes it's wrong. Most of the time it's spot on.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Climate change is real and needs to be addressed. There's a lot of misinformation on all sides with it.

I'm of the mindset that we'll fix it through technology advancements and that it isn't going to be a huge crushing blow to humanity. Still the best time in human history to be alive.

20. Savage Orange

I would consider myself as a Christian but again, there is a point where you have to look at things and call bullshit (a very Christlike term, I know!!) where bullshit needs to be called. The notion of a young Earth is patently ridiculous and unsupported whatsoever by easily obtained evidence. As far as evolution goes... Microevolution (within species) is verifiable, established fact. Macroevolution is not. There is no fossil record or any other known evidence to suggest that fish turned into birds or whatever... Being a Christian and being able to separate science from myth aren't mutually exclusive ideas...bottom line for me is that I am perfectly willing to be proven wrong but you better bring some damn convincing evidence to the table.