Petrino going to KY if they want him

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lakindofguy, Nov 8, 2012.

1. lakindofguy

lakindofguy New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2012
  2. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Because he's a complete dirt bag that will either embarrass the university within two years or get caught cheating.

Or, auburn decides to pay more money for him.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It's not like UK has much to lose from a football standpoint. I'd risk if I was them.

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I wouldn't want the 'AA to come around snooping Petrino's dirty work and stumble across some stuff that Calipari has pulled personally. I'm not saying I know of anything specific John Calipari has done illegal, but, well it's John Calipari.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Cats aint got no class. They'll do this.

6. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

UK made their bed with Cal, might as well double down.

7. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

No class? They haven't had a winning program since the damn 50s with Bear Bryant when they went to a Sugar and Cotton bowl. If they want to at least seem like they give a shit about the football program ... hire the man. You're Kentucky ... it won't get better than Petrino.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Speaking of dirtbags.

9. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I would argue "speaking of no class" fits infinitely better in the discussion, but I won't disagree with your assertion.

10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

If I were Mitch Barnhart, there is no way in hell I would risk my job and reputation by hiring a guy that might get the school on probation yet again in football.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Does UK really care if it gets put on probation in football? It can't be much worse than where they are now.

12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Kentucky would be getting a decent coach but making a deal with the devil. I think they'll jump at it.

13. cotton

Yes.

The two things that will get a UK AD fired are losing basketball games and getting put on probation in a major sport.

14. cotton

The fans would love it. I will be surprised if the admin allows it to happen.

15. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Barnhart already has hired a coach in BB that could easily get them in trouble and has a history of it with the AA. As far as football program trouble with the AA, Petrino has none in his past. It's the embarrassment he may cause personally. The guy knows this is his last shot. If you stomach the past personal history, he could make UK football competitive in a hurry. He's already proven it in-state at Louisville and in a backwoods state at Arky.

I would never do it at UT. But UK - no evidence of any moral high ground up there.

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

UT hired Bruce Pearl. We have zero business claiming the moral high ground.

17. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Probably right. Only one deal with the devil for them and it's for bball.

18. cotton

Who mentioned moral high ground?

If I were Mitch, I would not take a chance on the distantly 2nd most important sport burning me when everything else is going so well. I know him a little, and my guess is that he will approach it the same way.

Think of it this way--when Gillispie was losing basketball games, fans had the pitchforks and torches outside of Billy G's offices and Mitch's office. Barnhart's name rocketed to the top of the "Most Hated Men in the State" list, despite having seen every other sport at UK, including football, improve pretty dramatically under his watch. During Joker's lousy reign as football coach, I've heard nearly unanimous support for Philips' job but not one murmur about Barnhart. People seem to like him just fine right now.

He couldn't afford a lousy coach in basketball; a ho-hum football hire in football just doesn't matter that much, so why take a chance?

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I love watching our fanbase adopt an air of moral superiority when Kentucky's basketball coach has never been sanctioned at all by the NCAA, while UT is about a year and a half removed from firing a repeat offender in the same sport.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not saying we should "adopt and air of moral superiority," but let's not pretend that Cal is some angel here. The dude is about as dirty as they come.