Phil Steele

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jul 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

God his prose is so bad. It's like you have to translate it.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Writing style is kinda your thing, isn't it?

Which is cool with me.

3. kidbourbon

But with Phil Steele it's more than that. It's can you let me read it without looking at a list of your made-up acronyms.

4. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

After several years of keeping Steele's preview next to the shitter, I can read Phillese with no issues.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Me too but it took a few seasons

6. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I haven't been able to find his magazine yet. I've looked at a few stores and no one has it.

7. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Got my first issue this year. Bunch of shorthand and statistics.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

His blog basically has all the interesting info you'd need

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you think about it, it is incredibly important though. Especially if your job is all about the communication of ideas and information. Which is most jobs.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Most important work skill you can have in the days of email as our primary communication.

11. JayVols

I agree.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's amazing what percentage of resumes I see that have basic grammatical and spelling errors

13. JayVols

People are pretty dumb when it comes to proper grammer....

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

When I was younger, I would bring a red pen to interviews and start marking grammar and spelling on resumes while the candidate talked about his or herself.

15. JayVols

I hated comp professors that left papers looking like they were graded at a ritualistic hog slaughter.

16. kidbourbon

I actually think proper grammar is a bit overrated. I might judge people on some things, but I myself put the sentence-enderer outside the quotation marks on purpose, because the actual rule is stupid.

17. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

him or her self.

sorry.

18. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I like proper grammar in a lot of contexts. I have strong opinions on some grammatical rules (Oxford comma!). But there are some rules that aren't worth it. Like the rule that prepositions are inappropriate to end sentences with. There's no ambiguity or difficulty in understanding introduced when you stick a preposition on at the end. Somebody just wanted English to imitate Latin, where the preposition always has to precede its object. Which is dumb. English ain't Latin.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Depends on what we are talking about. A message board? Doesn't mean anything. My spelling and punctuation sucks here. But if your resume, something you should have spent hours on, has basic grammar errors that tells me you aren't one who shows attention to detail.

20. JayVols

I'm kind of anal about my posting. I try to not look like the idiot that I really am.