Phillip Fulmer being considered for College Football Hall of Hame

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, Feb 28, 2012.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Well most would, but if I remember correctly, didn't the team have a rash of injuries that year?

2. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Yeah, they did...and, at the time, I was willing to give Phil a pass. But, in hindsight, I'd say injuries were just a convenient excuse and a sign of things to come.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Given the standards for the hall, its a no brainer yes.

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I'm not the biggest Fulmer fan, but he was still the head of our program from '95-'04. The numbers that we put up in that time frame is hall of fame material. (Although I'm still bitter we didn't have dynasty like we were capable of)

6. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Member

Jim F. Donnan is in. If he's in, they ought to carry Fulmer around on a chair outside the HOF a dozen times before they induct him.

7. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

That won't happen. You know they can't lift him up.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

He qualifies.

9. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

There are a lot of coaches in the hall of fame with worse results than Fulmer. Two of them are from Tennessee (Dickey and Wyatt).

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Should the fact that absolutely no one has wanted to hire him for the last 3 years influence the decision? While I agree that his resume is worthy, the fact that he couldn't get hire during some of his prime Head Coaching years speaks volumes too.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Someone on VN argued Phil isn't interested in coaching because he is now a "movie star" in Oscar-winning films. Not kidding.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think so. His resume blows some others already inducted out of the water.

If I were making standards for the College Football HOF, 2 conference titles and one NC in a 17 year career would get you a pat on the back, not a place in the HOF, though.

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

who on earth actually thinks Fulmer is in the prime of his coaching career? He was in his late 50s when he left.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Nick Saban...

That was too easy. I don't think he was in the prime of his career.

15. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I think the fact that Nick Saban is infinitely healthier plays a role and I'd also add that Saban is on the downhill slope of his prime at best. He's a fabulous coach, but now it's much easier for him to ride off solely based on his name and history than coaching.

16. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

also, the last few years of Fulmer's tenure were abysmal and I was one of the first to call for his firing, but he was the conductor of the train we all rode throughout the 90s. 152-52 can't be ignored, even if he only won two conference titles and one NC. He's a no doubt HOFer any way you look at it.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You think Saban is going downhill? I think he'll quit before he ever shows a signs of slipping.

18. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

No I said his most prime years are behind him. I think between age and being content with his stature, yeah, he's slowly leaving the window of his prime years. As I said, now it gets easier for him because he has the name, recognition, fame and tradition rich school to help make his job easier. What's easier, getting a kid to come to Michigan State when nobody knows who you are and making them competitive or getting a kid to come to Alabama after winning 3 NCs?

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Okay, I misread your first post. Sure, he can ride those rings and Alabama for another 3 or 4 years without trying real hard. I think he'll quit before he starts to coast though.