Phillip Fulmer being considered for College Football Hall of Hame

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, Feb 28, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Saban's schematic advantage is strong enough that it will take dementia to really make him fall. Even if his recruiting dips he'll still be able to field tough teams. Fulmer didn't have that.

2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I can't believe we even have Fulmer in the same discussion as Saban. No comparison really. Saban is probably gonna turn out to be top 10/15 head coaches of all time.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's my fault. VFB mentioned how mid 50's isn't considered being in one's prime. Saban seems to just now be hitting his stride at that age.

I think it has a lot to do with where he's at too as much as his coaching as VFB said.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  4. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Agreed.

5. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Nick Saban and Alabama are all the proof that the Notre Dames, Michigans, etc of the world need to realize it just takes a coach to get certain schools back on top from the bottom. You can say Mike Shula this or whatever, but Nick Saban is at least 90% responsible for the turn of events in Alabama.

If Dooley fails and gets fired, yeah he left the program in a better spot for whomever replaces him, but I don't think it makes as much of a difference as so many on here seem to think.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I tend to agree VFB.

And that's why I'm a big fan of not having excuses for piss poor showings. Dooley walked into a cluster no doubt. He has gotten some talent in some spots but a good coach doesn't take a team and slide backwards even with injuries and dismissals. The team quit on him in Lexington.

A great coach can "fix" (by fix I mean show a significant amount of improvement) a team in two years, especially a program with the resources Tennessee has.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  7. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I am starting to feel like death or a Show Cause is the only thing that is going to stop Saban.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have had paradoxical thoughts on the Dooley regime's work thus far. On one hand, Dooley doesn't seem to have "it" to get Tennessee over the hump and back on track to being a contender. On the other, his ability to get decent talent despite the seasons he has had lends me to truly believe it will only take the right coach to turn Tennessee around in a matter of a couple of seasons.

9. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I wholeheartedly agree IP. If Dooley does not work out then I fully expect the next coach (if it is a homerun hire) to be able to do well with the talent Dooley has accumulated.