Pool Table

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by utvol0427, Jan 12, 2015.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Anybody have one? Any recommendations for a decent 8' for my basement? I don't want to break the bank, but it has to be slate

2. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I have one that is at least 40 years old, so I do not know how good my opinion is. It is an 8' Brunswick slate with the pockets returning the balls to the end. A nice feature that saves going to each pocket to retrieve them each game. If dirt/crud is allowed to build up, it can cause the balls to hang up in the return channels. Slate is the way to go IMHO, but I am not up on the current synthetic varieties. I don't know if Brunswick even makes them anymore. They had a plant in Marion, VA where we bought this one on a clearance sale.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sell it with the house if you move

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Amen.

We moved one before. Never again.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Just moved one into a new house. Paid some movers to haul the slates. Best money I ever spent.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've been fortunate enough to move 3 of those things. I worked for a furniture store throughout college. We would pick up side jobs moving people's furniture out of storage when we delivered their new furniture.

It was fairly good money on the side.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Get a good table. We had one throughout my childhood and we played all the time. But nothing is worse than a lousy table.

Got to some pool rooms and just see what you like. I remember Barley's Taproom in Knoxville had good tables, but that was a while ago. Also, blue felt because it looks awesomer.

Brunswick, Olhausen, Connely are all good.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Snooker or gtfo.

Of course, not a lot of people have a huge room required for a snooker table.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't really know what snooker is, but this is all I could think of.

[video=youtube;7enkHIEkKZ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7enkHIEkKZ8[/video]

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Dad did orange at one point.

11. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

buddy of mine used to have an orange table. i always liked it, but i'm partial.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

scrap it and get a good ping pong table.

13. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

solid advice, bpv.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Air hockey, imo

15. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Foosball

16. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Snooker is my favorite pool game followed by one pocket, but I wouldn't want to be limited to just it.

17. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

your canuck is showing.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Definitely looking at Brunswick and Olhausen. I talked to a friend who claims that Timber Creek is putting out the best tables right now. As for felt, I definitely prefer blue to the traditional green. I also really like a table with a black finish and a tan-ish colored felt.

I've looked at Air Hockey tables and some Foosball tables, but keep going to pool tables. I want something that I can use without having someone over and air hockey and foosball aren't a lot of fun alone. I suck at Ping Pong, so that isn't an option.

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I love me some air hockey.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is a warrior's game.