Post Spring Practice Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Apr 26, 2021.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Surprises? Pros? Cons? What does team need to do between now and Labor Day weekend?

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Need to find out what the NCAA sanctions are. Maybe we’ll get that before Labor Day ‘22

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Let Bailey eat as the starter, quit the Maurer experiment

Find some linebackers

Find some more dbs

Get and keep everyone healthy for the opening kickoff

Volgrad98, chavisut and SetVol13 like this.
  4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

JG threw one pass. It was intercepted. And he hurt his throwing hand.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Time is a flat circle

TDVol1989 and 10SEvols like this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was thinking, if that had happened any other year...

7. CardinalVol

Throwing a new QB into the mix now. Ubben says he'll be shocked if Milton isn't the starter.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Having another contender can only be a good thing, with where we are. To me, Hooker just didn't look like a starter candidate. Maurer is a cool dude but just doesn't command much confidence in protecting the ball. Bailey hasn't clicked... So ya, why not, could end up being Milton.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

My only concern is a wrench into team chemistry which seems to be at a multi-year high right now. Milton needs to he head and shoulders better than what we have to start, but his playing history doesn't show him to be.

10. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I still think Maurer is the leader in the clubhouse, and that they want to see if Milton has the tools. I think Bailey is good, but after seeing that he had one drive with the ones and against the ones yesterday(which admittedly was a TD drive) I'm not so sure what we saw yesterday was indicative of where he's at. Hooker is clearly last, however.

11. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Surprises were just how thin we are at LB. Some guys (Whitehead especially) are gonna have to move to LB. I wonder if they'll try to get some weight off of Bryson Eason this summer and get him at lb as well. If we're going 4-2-5 then I think with DT's you gotta have Simmons, Middleton, Emerson, Bailey and Thomas rotating, then at SDE there's Bumphis, Garland, and Baron if Eason gets moved back wwhich should be enough depth. WDE is thin, only Harrison and maybe Morven Joseph splits time between there and LB(EDIT: forgot about Byron Young, seems like a playmaker). Then you have Banks and Solon Page? Aaron Willis will play some and so will Kwauze Garland, but behind them it's DIRE. Hell, Aaron Willis is the only true MLB in that group and he desperately needs a redshirt year. Juwan Mitchell would cure a lot of ills.
    So would Whitehead figuring it out(am I a broken record on this yet?) Then at CB if Martinez can get something out of Tyus Fields and Kenneth George then we have a decent set of guys there. Safety is deep and it depends on if the extra DB is a true NB or a Jack type of player. If they want there to be a true NB then we're in trouble. If its a Jack that they want then McDonald, Jackson, or even McCollough can fill that role with Flowers and Slaughter holding it down at safety(and McCollough preferably at S) Also Kaemen Marley seems like a safety to me as well.

But yeah LB needs HELP.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Where do you see Ubben saying that?

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Need 2 linebackers out of the portal, I think

14. CardinalVol

Saw that he said it on some radio show.

15. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

It’s hard to imagine Milton transferred here to switch positions. And being from Orlando I’m sure this staff has some good insight into him. If this offense really is gimmicky enough to take some of the processing away and let the kid play, his athleticism would be a nice upgrade at the position to provide even more of a threat. He could be nasty in a few years if the system fits him well. One look, two look, take off could help us beat some of the teams that out talent us.

TDVol1989 and Memtownvol like this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

From the Ubben article in which his private QB coach was interviewed, I'd say the chance of Milton transferring with switching positions on his radar is 0%.

TDVol1989 and Volsdude like this.
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't expect him to be very good, maybe he'll surprise me

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Maurer is trainwreck on the field. I like him, but it's either a spectacular play or a terrible turnover

TDVol1989 likes this.
  19. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Yeah but it's the same with Matt Corral.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This pretty well nails it. Also like to see us try to add some more depth at DT if we can find a decent transfer or two.

IP likes this.