Post TAMU musings

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I was far more upset with other calls. The unnecessary roughness they called on Bates for blocking that #12 POS on the kickoff was egregious. There was nothing remotely illegal about it.

The PI in the end zone was bad as well. Both refs signal TD despite the ball clearly rolling around on the ground, so then they come back with a flag for the weak PI call. And even if you want to say it was PI, I can show you 5 different times where contact was significantly worse and they swallowed the whistles.

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

A decent set of eyes could see it.

3. GahLee

It was ruled a pick and I felt like the video evidence was iffy at the very best. I think it hit the ground too but that's not the point.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Yeah, there's a difference between knowing it hit the ground and having the video show it hit the ground beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Now, for years calls have been overturned when there wasn't "conclusive" evidence, and most of the time that's OK because it's close enough. Yesterday was one of the tough ones.

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Exactly. As the rule is now, there wasn't anything that definitely, without question, showed the ball hitting the ground that would cause them to overturn it. The pictures showed that it likely hit the ground, but it wasn't indisputable, which is the word that the announcers and officials always throw around as to what the rule requires.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The ball hit the ground and there was video evidence. One shot in particular showed it as clear as day.

There was lots of officiating blunders yesterday, but they got that one right.

7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

It certainly wasn't definitely incomplete. It may have been. But the ball may have bounced off his hand. It was impossible to tell. Moot point since we got ball back and scored.

8. RockyHill

We all know that the way the ball bounced there's a 99.99% chance it hit the ground, but the video didn't show it beyond a shadow of a doubt. I'm ok with that call if we chance our standard to something other than "indisputable". It was disputable.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Well, I guess you guys can keep arguing about it if you want, but it clearly hit the ground and there was at least one replay that showed it.

The right call was made.

10. GahLee

I don't think anyone here is arguing but you. I'd say there is a really good chance it did but the ruling on the field and video evidence weren't good enough to overturn.

Also think the ball went in to the endzone on the punt that they downed at the two. Of course they never showed the angle from the other side so it was impossible to tell.

11. midtownvol83

midtownvol83 Active Member

The replay never showed it hit the ground. It 100% did show it bounced - but due to the quality of the video it was impossible to 100% tell if that was the ground or a part of a hand that made the ball move. It did hit the ground - but it wasn't on the replay.

12. midtownvol83

midtownvol83 Active Member

I thought on this one if you put two of the replay angles together it was apparent that at least half of the ball was crossing the goaline.

13. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

They weren't able to confirm that effing touchback call despite knowing that the ball was over the line. But the view was obstructed by the player.

14. RockyHill

And that's the rub. Make judgement calls in the replay booth or don't, I don't care, but we need a consistent rule.

15. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Was the worst officiated game I've seen. SEC fans deserve better. Unfortunately, nothing is going to get any better under Sankey. He is the [ddiapos] of commissioners. In way over his head.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

If one could find a way to quantify injuries in a game and officiating quality in a game, I bet there is a strong correlation. Bad officiating and dangerous play go hand in hand, for a few different reasons, I think: 1. Players press harder than normal to get the upper hand physically regardless of the rules 2. Seeking retribution or balancing from bad or missed calls 3. frustration from inconsistency.

17. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

Was there a goal line camera on the other side?
    Not trying to be difficult but I don't think there was and if there was we probably would have seen it

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It was terrible

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

One angle it looked like his left hand was under it, one angle it looked like it was the ground first.

That throws the "indisputable evidence" out the window.

20. GahLee

Have a hard time believing there wasn't a single camera shooting from that side of the field. I'd bet the ball was a good 6 inches past the line.