Predict the Score - Oklahoma edition

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by BigOrangeBeech, Sep 6, 2014.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

If he can, he will.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

7 wins then a bowl imo

3. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

So a possible 8, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

4. Oklahoma 45
    Vols 16

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  5. MWR

MWR Contributor

Oklahoma 72
    Vols 3

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Oklahoma- 45
    UT- 14

At least one of OU's touchdowns will be a direct result of a blocked punt.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

24-20.

Vols.

8. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Suspicious lack of conviction in this post.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'll try again:

24-20!

Vols....!....

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Go easy on IP, the Holy Spirit is dealing with him.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, we deal to the left. It is my deal.

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

41-10 ou

13. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Sooners 41
    Vols 17

14. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

vols pull the upset. 27-24.

15. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I'm not that high on the sooners. I think we lose something like 28-17, although it won't be nearly as close as the score would make it seem.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Here is what I think OU does to our dink and dunk passing game (we run this same "route" about 5-10 times a game):

[youtube]XxEaZAOuFS8[/youtube]

17. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

3-2 Vols in a stunner.

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If Stoops loses to Tennessee, then he will have effectively erased all of the heightened standing which he gained for OU / Big 8 in beating Bama last season. He's not going to let that happen.

And as the Big 8 doesn't play a championship game anymore, Stoops well knows that this could spell trouble for the Big 8 champion, which is almost certainly going to be OU. Given this, there will almost undoubtedly be a better and more natural (popular) argument to be made for the SEC, PAC-12 and ACC runners-up to be amongst the four playoff teams, than the Big 8 champ, meaning, OU could be on the outside looking in.

And the Big 8 largely sucks ass, and is arguably the worst of the 5 Power Conferences (toss-up between them and Big 10), meaning, Stoops isn't going to make any noise on his Big 8 schedule, no matter how badly he beats KU, Iowa St., Texas, or even Baylor. The fact that Tennessee is largely a shell of its former self, and not one of the Top 5 schools in the SEC, is largely irrelevant from a national perspective. It's a widely known team that is synonymous with the SEC, and getting throttled in Norman will be the single best and closest example in the argument that Stoops will point back to, later, when arguing the case for OU's inclusion into the playoffs.

Bob Stoops legitimately hates the SEC. Personally despises them. The SEC's dominance has made everyone else perennial "also-ran" afterthoughts, and has continuously cost him a great deal of respect and accolades for all he has done in Norman for the last several years. While most everyone who alleges the faux-dominance of the SEC, they only quietly grumble here and there, but only Stoops has stamped his name on it, very publicly, directly, loudly and most consistently. That makes him unique, in that he has both a personal and professional stake in backing that argument, and his comments, up.

OU is not going to overlook Tennessee. At all. In fact, they're licking their chops at the thought of Saturday's game.

They are not only a better team than Tennessee, but likely enjoy distinct advantages at every single position / unit that will be on the field (only WR is debatable, IMO).

And now we're down Pearson, likely Wolf, and our starting LT.....already a former walk-on, himself.

If you think that our o-line struggled to get a push against Arky St. (and we inarguably did....call it "playing vanilla" or whatever you like...but it is what it is), wait until you see how well we do against OU's front 4, and front 7.

Unlike many of you, I've actually been quite impressed with Worley's play through two games, both from his play (yes, particularly throwing the ball) and in managing the game. But the truth is that we've seen the "new" Worley against two overmatched teams, in the safe confines of a home crowd. That being said, what should we expect from him against a (far?) superior team, and in front of a hostile and nationally televised crowd? My fear is that the "old" Worley may come roaring back to life. In fact, I both dread and expect just that.

I hope I'm wrong. I desperately want us to win. I'll be so elated with a win as to eat as much crow as you guys want to give me, and gladly ask for fifths. Twelths, even. I don't care if we win 2-0, if we win on a last- second Hail Mary where our WR commits atrocious pass interference, but gets away with it to snag the game-winner. I don't care if OU gets Ebola and has to forfeit. I don't care if OU has 28 turnovers. I'll take a win any way it comes.

While I do not believe in "moral victories", if Jones even keeps this game within 24 points, he is to be commended. If he wins, he should get an extension and a raise before the next game, as he would have accelerated our return to greatness by at least 2 years, bare minimum.

But, absent blind optimism and wishful thinking, I don't see how we're going to avoid getting stomped, badly. Embarrassed, even.

I'll officially predict:

OU: 63
    TN: 10

Just my $.02

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

A number for each team would have sufficed. Dear God, Tenny.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Sounds like IP needs to make a road trip to Norman.