Predict Where Manziel will be drafted

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, May 5, 2014.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tebow was running an offense that allowed for throwing lanes the size of I-40.

Vince Young completed something like 65% his junior year in college. In the NFL, he couldn't complete a pass 10 yards and in.

I mean, there are hundreds of cases where guys look great but just need to fix this or that that flop. Manziel may be a jitter bug that can dazzle with his feet, but how many times does that work in the NFL? Vick was the best I've ever seen at running around and making plays with his legs, and he's got two or three playoff appearances in his career.

Fran Tarkenton did it, but he was the best athlete on the field during his day. I can't say that for Manziel.

Steve Young wasn't successful until he learned to make plays in the pocket without running all over.

Favre was a wild ass on the field, but his only success came when he had Holmgren reigning him in. The rest of the time he was just as likely to beat himself with a stupid turnover as he was to win the game. I say this liking Favre.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

1) I said he was drafted way too low. Once again. He looked like an nfl player.

2) he also played in an nfl offense in nc state and yes proven ability to succeed in an nfl offense is a plus rather than a complete unknown.

3) it means actually setting your feet when you throw. Moving up in the pocket. Anticipating throws rather than waiting till the guy was open. All things Manziel sucks at. And yes i can actually tell these things by watching them play.

4) you are like the vol fan that points out they had one 2 star who made it to the nfl and therefore star ratings mean nothing. Name how many hall of fame qbs are under 6'2. You think that's a coincidence?

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

There are more HOF QBs under 6'2 than over 6'2, and by a comfortable margin. And I can't believe Joe Theismann's not in the HOF. That one surprised me.

"Yeah. Boom! What now, Serge? How ya like that dangle?"
    -droski

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

6. kidbourbon

I don't think Tebow and Vince Young belong in this conversation. They can't throw the ball. Manziel can throw, and even his detractors acknowledge that.

As far as the other guys, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. If you're trying to make the point that Manziel has to become more of a pocket passer first and rely less on his legs, then sure. If you're trying to make the point that Manziel's agility/elusiveness somehow places a ceiling on how good he can be, then I think that's absurd. The ability to avoid would-be sacks and extend plays is a good thing. I can't imagine a straight-faced argument to the contrary.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

8. kidbourbon

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

easy to say when offensive linemen were 5'10 and not 6'4. i don't think it's some sort of coincidence that brees is the only great qb from the past 30 years under 6'2.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not doomed, but the odds are against him. i'd much rather take a shot on a carr, mettenburger, or mccaron in a later round and use my #1 pick for someone at another position.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if you are taking manziel you are betting that he's the one who is going to defy the odds. hasn't worked well in the past now has it?

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you can't scramble around for 15 seconds every play in the nfl. improvisation is great if you do everything else well. otherwise you are just terrell pryor.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

"He's a great athlete. He's been working underneath the center, you can tell. That was really impressive, because he didn't do that too much in college. But he definitely did it very well right here.
    He was very accurate, very strong-armed. He threw well on the move. He handles himself well, too. He has a blast in what he's doing. You could tell. That as very evident today."

Gary Kukiak- Head Coach
    Houston Texans

"Young showed that he's got the arm and that's the big thing".

C .O. Brocato-Tennessee Titans
    National Coordinator
    of College Scouting

"I like what I saw -good footwork, good arm strength. The guy was impressive. It's a very valuable pick. We all want to make a good decision."

Bob McNair- Owner Houston Texans

"Vince Young is three-dimensional. He can beat you
    running, he can beat you passing, and he's fearless.
    He's fearless."

Jerry Rhome- Vince Young
    Quarterback Coach/NFL

"I have no doubt that Vince Young will do well in the
    National Football League. Today he gave people a
    better feel o this size, because it is hard to tell on
    t.v.. The power that he has, his ability to throw ,
    his accuracy, his leadership skills and his ability to
    interact with other players definitely keeps him at
    the top."

Mack Brown-Head Football Coach University of Texas

http://www.10vinceyoung.com/press/proday.htm

14. kidbourbon

Airtight logic. It's the height of the linemen. You should thank heavens Aaron Rodgers is 6'-2 and not 6'1, or he'd have been doomed. Yeah, it's definitely that extra inch.

15. kidbourbon

Vince Young couldn't throw the ball to save himself. Everybody with two eyeballs and a fully functioning frontal lobe knew this. If you didn't know it, then I'm calling into question your previous statement that:

Or maybe you never saw Vince Young play.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so what is the problem? every dude under 6'2 just got unlucky?

17. kidbourbon

Yeah, you would draft Mccarron.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I thought he sucked yes. he still was drafted 10th overall, just like tebow was drafted 20th or whatever. just like manziel they'll ignore the negatives and fall in love with the "playmaking."

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm not convinced there is all pro qb in this class. if i desperately needed a qb, i'd risk on a lower round. Manziel very well might be the best pro prospect of the bunch. low bar though.

20. kidbourbon

Nope they were doomed by the taller linemen. If Manziel succeeds in the NFL it will be because him and Brees and Wilson have Jedi Mind Tricks where they can see through the linemen. In fact, that must be how Manziel passed for so many yards against Bama's D-line. They're just as tall as an NFL d-line, and he's not 6'2, so he wasn't able to stand on the virtual watchtower that the extra inch allows. So, yeah, Jedi Mind Tricks. No other explanation makes sense.