Preseason coaches poll

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Aug 6, 2020.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

For anyone who cares, we were tied for 26th.

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I predict LSU will go down faster than NYY on two-fer-tuesdays.

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

utah and oregon love are very confusing.

4. CardinalVol

Can't have all 25 teams in the preseason poll be east of the Rockies.

IP likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's exactly what it is. "What are the top teams in each P5 conference?"

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

pac 12 will be garbage once again. not sure usc should be top 25 either. people don't realize how badly their recruiting has fallen off

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

But this year, there will be nothing to prove it because it will be conference only play.

8. CardinalVol

Yeah, this is going to get really odd.

I'm not certain an SEC team is running the table this year. Clemson should, Ohio State should. Oklahoma has a decent chance. Pac 12, probably all going 5-5.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think every Pac-10/12/14 will have a losing record.

That's right. All will have a losing record, some way, some how.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is why the playoffs should be tied to conference champions and expanded to 8. P5 champions, one nonP5 champion, two wild cards. The nonp5 champ and two wild cards is selected by a committee the same as the playoffs do now. But this way, every P5 team has a clear path and even nonP5 teams know that if they run the table and knock off a big P5 or two, they're almost definitely in. And it still leaves room to recognize the very tough conferences by having 2 wild card spots.

It is so clear to me. How is this not the way it is done? You could even decrease the number of non conference games and mandate conference championship games.

TDVol1989, OneForVol and SetVol13 like this.
  11. CardinalVol

It will be in 6 years, if not sooner. It's only a matter of time at this point.

I do think there should be caveat for the G5 team though. Ranked in top 20 or something.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you toss them the 1 spot, it shuts them up forever. Or at least shuts down their argument forever. And honestly, most years it doesn't really matter because there are only 2 or 3 teams that are really head and shoulders above the rest of the Top 15 and the difference between the rest of the Top 15 and top 30 is "any given Saturday" levels. Hell, sometimes the differences is literally just schedules. But tying it to conference champions means no "mistakes," and doing so means expanding it to at least enough to accommodate the P5.

A-Smith likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

With no Big 10 or Pac 12, are we Top 15 now?

utvol0427 likes this.
  14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Guarantano trending towards a Top 10 Heisman finish

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Whatever, Guarantano can’t pass okra seeds

16. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Any team outside this list that happens to have a great season beating teams no one saw comin, perhaps going undefeated even, I’m thinkin will have an asterisk on the season as if it wouldn’t have happened in normal seasons as the teams they beat weren’t ready fully somehow because of the pandemic effects.

IP likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

but make no mistake, if we only play one game and win it, I'm celebrating a 2020 conference championship, making a "Plague of the Vols" DVD that could fit on a TikTok, and proclaiming that Tennessee is back.

know that.

CardinalVol, kmf600, cpninja and 6 others like this.