Preseason Lines and Win Probabilities

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

2. Tar Volon

Also tried my hand at an entire SEC point spread power ranking. It's tricky, because the lines are not internally consistent. Arkansas, for instance, is a double-digit favorite over Mississippi State and an underdog to Ole Miss. But MSU is only a 1-point underdog to Ole Miss. When you adjust for HFA, it comes out within a couple of points, but it doesn't come out as a straight power ranking (and I didn't expect it to be perfect, but there's more variance in the West than in the East). Teams can be as much as three points off in their placement depending on which games you compare. But this is my best guess ATM

1. Alabama
    2. LSU +4
    T3. Georgia +5
    T3. Auburn +5
    5. Arkansas +6
    6. Ole Miss +7
    7. Tennessee +8
    8. A&M +9
    T9. Missouri +10
    T9. MSU +10
    11. Florida +14
    12. South Carolina +15
    13. Kentucky +19
    14. Vanderbilt +27

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Cool, will start digesting this. Also, didn't KB collaborate with Float and/or TT? If so, kudos to them too.

4. Tar Volon

KB asked for help on the combinatorial tool. I don't remember who ended up creating it, but it was somebody on here. Definite kudos.

5. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Props to them for just working with PHP.

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

As opposed to?

7. kidbourbon

Nice article. I love the combo of those two tools (spreadsheet + combinatorial tool).

8. kidbourbon

Yeah, Float did the code, and TT dis his best Walter White and came up with the master recipe. it was top notch work by both.

http://8thmaxim.com/site/forum/showthread.php?t=11463&page=4

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was one of those "it all comes together" moments.

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I was really happy with how that turned out. It was fun coming up with the right form of the combinatorics and seeing how it somewhat simplified.

I've used that combinatorial tool multiple times since. It's extremely handy compared to enumerating everything in Excel. Nice asset for the site that Float built.