President Obama coming to Pellissippi State

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Jan 5, 2015.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If it's based on tn promise I'm fairly certain there are safeguards for the 25 year old one class at a time people.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It absolutely does in the eyes of the federal government.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Is cooking not a trade?

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Meth?

5. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Why shouldn't it be in everyone's eyes. You could say I am biased as my son is a chef, but I do not think I would feel any different if he were not.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm not judging. It's just that, in my job, I audit US job corps facilities, and in 4 out of 5, culinary arts is offered as a trade.

If you look at how lazy and fat we've become as a society, it seems like a good career move.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The only issue will be all of the shady schools that will open up to soak in this tax payer subsidized schooling.

I think being a chief is skilled labor, and the market reflects that in their wage.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Am I the only one who thinks that simply educating / certifying more Americans in the technical vocations is a losing proposition, as long as American businesses keep outsourcing and sending that type of work overseas, across the border?

What have you gained to have a million people receive a free education in a trade, if their are no jobs for them, once ready to work?

And, last I checked, the migration of these technical jobs out of the country has not occurred because of a dearth of skilled tradesmen / workers, but primarily out of financial considerations, alone. Simply, companies don't want to pay an American welder $30/hr, when you can pay a Canadian $20/hr, or better - when you can pay an El Salvadorian welder $2/hr.

I don't see where a glut of more certified welders will correct this.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Also, if this cuts the supply of students to traditional four year schools, you're to see a lot of institutions struggle to stay a float with out tax payer bailouts. They've done a really poor job of positioning themselves for the future. Which isn't a shock, when the government is doing the funding as it doesn't put incentives to do so.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This isn't true. We're at a shortage of trade workers, and the market is trying to fill them and can't. The main issue is lack of mobility in society now. The government pays poor people to stay in a poor or struggling economic area, without the welfare safety net people would be more mobile moving to the work.

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The number of valuable, well paying skills nobody learns anymore is stunning. Try finding a place to get a pair of shoes repaired or a television fixed.

12. Tenacious D

Fair points made, and taken.

But I still say that economic incentives have played a primary role in the outsourcing of American jobs.

There's kind of a chicken and egg effect, too, isn't there?

To continue my example - you could say that we don't have enough qualified welders in America, and so US-based businesses looked overseas for others to do the job, or is it that the businesses moved welding jobs overseas, leaving lesser amounts of welding work for welders in the US...and so Americans saw no future in becoming welders, when too many are already unemployed / under-employed as things stood?

I'm not refuting the notion that there is a deficiency in skilled workers in the US (I don't know, but trust that you guys do) - but I don't think that a lack of training is solely, or even primarily, the cause of it - and if true - it's dubious to see it as a means out of it, at absolute best.

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If we decided culinary school is a trade, and free trade school is offered, the wife is going to culinary school.

Let's get this figured out, and support this program completely.

14. MWR

MWR Contributor

I think this is part of the plan. "They" do not want people to repair anything. They want you to throw it away and buy a new one. And if you want to buy quality stuff that will last, it is difficult to find.

15. Tenacious D

Supply and demand.

If you have enough good paying jobs waiting for people who complete vocational training, I think that the demand itself will incentivize a more than adequate supply of newly trained workers.

I'm concerned about the reverse course, where you hope that increasing the supply of more trained / skilled workers will somehow increase the demand necessary to sustain it.

Demand drives supply, not the other way around.

Just my $.02, and I'm probably wrong.

16. Tenacious D

I also support pole dancing / erotic genital massage to be classified as a skilled trade, if this becomes the case.

17. fl0at_

Straight up legitimate question. Is massage therapy school considered a trade?

Because after culinary school...

18. CardinalVol

Talk to employers with high tech jobs who need skilled workers in the area. There is s demand for them.

19. CardinalVol

Baseball glove restrung.

20. fl0at_

Hm.

The Float inVol School of Graphic and Web Design. EBT accepted.