President Obama coming to Pellissippi State

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Jan 5, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Wall street journal just had an article about a welder making $140K a year. all he had was a 2 year welding degree.

the average line cook makes jack shit and it's 90% current or former illegal immigrants. head chefs make decent money, but I'm not sure I'd be pushing my kid into that industry if he wasn't college material. you have at least 10 years where you are making essentially minimum wage. most culinary school grads I know aren't in the industry anymore or at best are catering on the side. they watch food network and think it's all being bobby flay, but don't realize it's really a terrible job with terrible hours.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yes and becoming a nail tech, cutting hair, and makeup. You can get federal aid for all of that

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He's here. Helicopters going overhead.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

plenty of those type of jobs can't be outsourced which is exactly why they ARE so well paid at this point.

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Don't forget about trades that we have to have at home, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, and HVAC, we can't ship all of these jobs to other countries because we still need to be able to turn on computers and poop.

BTW, there are no skilled people in other countries. It's more like, can you stick theses two pieces of metal together with this rod? You're hired.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

This is what I've found to be true in my field, at least at my current employer and former employer. They want people with experience, they don't want to train anyone or offer apprenticeship programs anymore. There's no time or money for that anymore.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My mother got sick and could not pick the kids up at noon today. I couldn't go into the office.

I am very disappointed. But, such is life. I was not going to get to see him anyway, but I just wanted to be around for all of the dog and pony show that is involved with it.

This week has been interesting at work, with the Secret Service there and all.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm not going to brag or get into much detail, but if you guys knew what I made, some might get offended. I've had my name and yearly pay published in some local news papers and blogs because it pisses people off. I also had over 1,000 hours of overtime worked and my last month of 2014 I was off with a busted wing.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

absolutely true. every job people are looking for someone with 5-10 years experience. over that and you are too old, under that and they don't want to train you unless you are willing to work for shit money.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You could be making a million a year and I would be OK with it. None of my business. My salary is available to all because of the sunshine laws in TN, and I am OK with that as well. But I learned a long time ago at my first real job: never talk about salaries. Unfortunately, my coworkers do nothing but sometimes as they lament they make so little.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

during the dot com bubble I was working in san Francisco and I had a bunch of 25 year old friends with English degrees and no real experience making 6 figures constantly complaining they were underpaid. literally only 1 of them is still employed in the industry with the rest of them making half what they made when they were 25. I only begrudged them for being overpaid because they constantly talked about being underpaid. otherwise I gave them credit for being in the right industry.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

No doubt you make good money.

I could never do it, but no doubt you make good.

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

A lot of that is work ethic too, I bet.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My bosses seem to come to me and a few other guys when they really need something done and they don't want to have to worry about it anymore.

15. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I really love the way you think.

16. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

This is essentially true, most who start out in culinary do not make it a long term career. You have to be in a larger market at high-end eateries to make real money, and the hours are still rotten. The only way I could justify it is to open your own establishment, which is my son's goal. Still have the shit hours, ownership headaches, and being in the perennial winner of SBA's most risky new business. There is only one true driving factor to enter the culinary field, those that do have a passion for it.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm for anyone doing something they are passionate about. I'm just not sure it's the type of career we should be paying for as a country given the glut of chefs around. plenty of top chefs don't have culinary degrees anyway. I certainly wasn't speaking poorly of anyone with a genuine interest in the field. I thought about it briefly as a profession while working as a prep cook in college, but decided working nights wasn't right for me.

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

The only reason I would be offended or pissed off is if you didn't earn it, or deserve it. That's the only reason any should get pissed. Otherwise it is just jealousy and envy, mixed in with a little bit of guilt because they do mot have the motivation to be doing the same job.

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

So where do you draw the line and say "sorry you cannot do what you want, be a welder and hate your job the rest of your life"? And who gets to tell them? I would be first in line to kick his ass.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

If you are in a profession that overpays you compared to the average person with your experience and education (count me in that group btw), then it seems to me you made a smart career decision. If you want to crap on someone, crap on the person or entity that is "overpaying" the people.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015