POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Donald Trump: Best thing to happen to SNL, worst thing to happen to 8thmaxim.

Seriously, 10x worse than Gruden not happening.

NorrisAlan and VolDad like this.
  2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I couldn't more strongly disagree.

Dialogue is of absolute importance, particularly in today's climate, and differing opinions - even hotly debated - are a good, necessary and welcomed component of that. I'd infinitely prefer to hear Un / IP / Jay / Judge / Dooz and their liberal takes - silly and incorrect as I often find them to be - than to just listen to a bunch of people who think like me, or worse, who don't think at all (perhaps I repeat myself, here).

And that they make me think is often uncomfortable. So do a lot of others, on my side and many others beyond my personal beliefs. I hope I do the same from time to time (blind squirrels and whatnot).

It's the whole point of this place, IMO, to have a say and speak your peace - be it as it relates to Tennessee football, Donald Trump, the in/existence of God, race / sexuality / nationality-related issues, etc. etc.

That's the whole point. Really.

The site does a good job of keeping the Trump stuff relegated to one forum / thread for the most part, and it's easily ignored by those who aren't interested. And you rarely see the conversation dip into someone being called a Nazi, accused of hating America, or any of the other worn out tropes you see any political discussion devolve into on the interwebz.

I know that some don't like it, want to read it or to enjoy debating it (it's exhausting at points, at least for me), but to those who do, there is value in it.

Of everything on this site, I'm most proud of the fact that we neither slink from nor seek to squelch the hard topics of conversation, but welcome them, and the views from any perspective.

If Trump has done anything right, it's that he's making Americans talk about a great deal of issues that they may not have otherwise ever thought to consider, much less talk about - and far less to argue over.

I'm personally and sincerely glad that those who wish to engage in those conversations can do so, here.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

All the things you mentioned were here and better before Trump.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Dialogue good; Personal attacks not so much.

I appreciate my 8th left leaning friends even when I find the opinion opposite mine. From time to time I get nuggets of gold from them that really make me think and from time to time cause me to alter my opinion.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I don't know why Trump is so polarizing. He is not worth it. His powers will be thwarted after the mid terms and he might not get re-elected.

6. Tenacious D

Fair.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Maybe I’m the only one. Just feel like things pivoted in a bad direction right about that time. Several quality guys have left or aren’t as active.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I especially missed HatVol this basketball season.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Honestly, I’d forgotten about him. Was thinking of others.

10. Tenacious D

I'm not sure as to an alternatic
    Hat is as welcome here as he's always been.

He knows this, because I've personally and repeatedly told him.

Such remains.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

So long as we (the site, not the people) remain, people may come and go, and even find their way back.

I would hope we are still a long way away from being no more.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

The Paris climate accord is a treaty like butch jones is the football coach at alabama. It isn't binding and the goals are set by the country itself. There is no way for it to become binding as an agreement. Look up the legal definitions.

It's the kids and their kids who are going to take the hit from all this. We're mortgaging the future.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's always about the kids and the future and when shit goes sideways people tell the kids it isn't their fault. It's why we have a generation of people swimming in debt that blame baby boomers for it instead of taking responsibility for their actions.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's never about the future, it's about short term goals.

zehr27 likes this.
  15. Tenacious D

It's a treaty. First and foremost, because it is. And even it's primary US sponsoring group - the "Center for Climate and Energy Solutions" admits as much. Also, note their point about midway through - I've placed it in bold for ease of locating:

Any good examples of this binding-but-non-binding silliness lying about?

Here's one:
    If it's all voluntary and non-binding, as you suggest, why can't we pull out for the first three years?

Link: https://www.c2es.org/content/paris-climate-agreement-qa/

And here's the actual document.

Bonus points if you can explain how those bits about migrants, indigenous peoples, a universal right to healthcare pertain to climate change ...they occur about 3/4 of the way down on Page 1.

Link: https://unfccc.int/files/meetings/paris_nov_2015/application/pdf/paris_agreement_english_.pdf

16. Tenacious D

And...some would assert that the Paris Climate Accord wouldn't make any appreciable difference anyway.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes or no: under US law, is the Paris climate accord a treaty? Yes or no.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you don't see how migrants or indigenous people fit into climate change, you're not understanding what climate change is as a threat and why this will bite us on the ass thoroughly.

19. Tenacious D

Yes.

20. Tenacious D

And a universal right to healthcare?

And "gender equity"?

And the "empowerment of women"?

How about "intergenerational wealth"?

How do all of these factor back into the environment?

Empowered women going to our ice back at the polar caps?

How s wealth redistribution going to lower temps? We going to make cooling fans of the cash?