POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You are part of a monopoly, driven by layers of bureaucracy. I'm surprised you only want $125/hour.

No-one else is allowed to touch your stuff, so charge whatever you want, you have no legal competition.

I'm surprised you celebrate that.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

it's weird how preoccupied some are with the bottom, but God forbid anyone criticize the relative value at the top.

skilled labor should make as much as it possibly can. any labor worth having someone do ought to be worth a survivable amount.

3. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

“It can be done” doesn’t refute a damn thing about the existence of inequality. And that should be obvious. That point is stupid as hell and so many people use it as an excuse to ignore the disparities that black people face.

tvolsfan likes this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It doesn't make a damn if a ramp is 3 foot or 40 foot, you still have to build it

5. fl0at_

That's the point. If it didn't have to be built, or be built to a specification dictated by a bureaucratic organization (your code enforcement agency) would the price of you doing it be lower than it is today?

Of course. Because 1) maybe no-one does it, so your profit is 0. 2) maybe they DIY, so your profit is 0. 3) the competition, which does a crap job, under bids you... so your profit is 0.

The point is that code enforcement is driving the cost of labor. Not skill. Unless we're gonna say IBEW is better, cause they cost more. And I doubt we're gonna say that.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Ok

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's a lot of typing to not have a point

kmf600 and zehr27 like this.
  8. fl0at_

The best friend to the construction worker has been governmental regulation.

You or the warehouse guy are free to refute it.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Governmental regulations make construction work a lot more expensive. With or without governmental regulations, you still have to pay your workers. If they're good at their job, they make more

10. fl0at_

"Make more" is relative. If you can only get $100 for a job, you aren't paying a worker $200, even if he shits the material.

His pay is a function of skill, after the jobs worth has been established.

And regulation makes those jobs worth more.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No one has ever made a dime without government regulations. I'll remember that.

12. fl0at_

Not what is being said. Not even close.

There are a lot of industries that are making a fortune due to lack of regulation. Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter. Tech is very, very loosely regulated.

A lot of other industries are hurt by regulation. Stock traders could make a killing if regulations on insider trader were loosened.

Construction benefits from regulation. These other industries are hindered by regulation.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If immigration wasn't loosely regulated, there would be an extreme shortage of able bodied construction workers. That would effect labor prices

14. fl0at_

Exactly the point.

Construction needs stricter regulation to drive wage up. It thrives on government interference.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yet, if you're good at your job, you still make 30 bucks an hour

16. fl0at_

Yes, because regulation has influenced the market, and driven wages up.

Tighten immigration and the labor shortage will drive wages up even higher, but lessen the number of people collecting a wage.

After the tightening, loosen immigration and wage will drop, and the number of people collecting a wage will increase.

Then loosen the regulations regarding "qualified personnel" and loosen code enforcement... and now what do you think happens? Up or down?

17. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Code enforcement drives costs up for the end user. It’s necessary, but does absolutely nothing to impact wages. People are making the same whether it’s a permit project or not. As a matter of fact, I’d argue that the speed of code suppresses wages as jobs are held up waiting for inspection, dumb ass inspectors on power trips, etc. Crews lose hours, and therefore wages.

Labor is supply/demand, and wage rate reflects it. If someone is skilled at what they do, shows up, and has an inkling of social skills, jobsite etiquette and financial management, that person could easily gross six figures in today’s climate. Hanging drywall, laying carpet, painting, whatever. Non-licensed trades that have little if any to do with code. That’s commercial. Anyone from the Home Depot parking lot can be hired to do work on a house. And code has zero impact on that. You’re using the immigration angle to justify the silly stance that government helps people make more money.

Guys that will show up sober on time, work 8 hrs without [itch bay]ing, and are willing to learn get $15/hr. Actually closer to 11 or 12 after I take out workers comp, ss, Medicare, fica, futa, fu, etc, et al, and so on. And I have to factor in my, my asst, and my Accountants cost in maintaining compliance with all of the govt regulations. So that makes the cost of doing business higher, but does nothing for the guy painting or grouting tile.

18. fl0at_

This is absolutely incorrect, and you know it. Or should.

Code is not national, it is local. What may be code for you is not code for me. Code absolutely applies to residential, in many locals, including, in Tennessee, Shelby and Davidson county. Anyone who thinks they can pick up labor at Home Depot and the work done on the house not subject to code enforcement isn't in the field, an idiot, or works in the smallest counties in any and every state.

Most jobs are quoted based on previous experience. Previous experience eventually considers hanging around getting a permit and getting it inspected. Prices then increase, even if this time the job isn't inspected.

Would you like the Tennessee state link that talks about AHJ, and what is covered by code, or you wanna just slink away?

19. fl0at_

This deserves special attention because you fail to pay attention.

Government hinders most industry from making money. Finance could make loads more if there weren't those pesky fair lending laws.

Monopolies would kill, without regulation. Obviously.

Construction. No, that benefits from regulation.

20. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Please show me where Shelby county code reads that a homeowner needs a permit to have their kitchen painted or carpet put in a bedroom.