POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

http://www.shelbycountytn.gov/533/Demolition

That's carpet. Because you are altering by removing carpet to put new down, which is demo.

Paint is covered by the stupid paint chips containing lead code, due to sanding.
    Do you want me to look it up?

It ain't gonna get inspected. It still technically requires a permit.

2. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Code is necessary. We agree. But it does not impact wages, and the industry does not benefit financially. Feel free to argue more regulation and ultimately pay more for everything. Contractors, subs, laborers, etc are still going to make market rate. Regulation does not affect it.

3. fl0at_

Market rate has been inflated to what it is today by regulation passed in the past.

The market has been influenced in the past by reducing competition through the requirement of "qualified personnel," without which the market rate would be much lower (as would the quality of work.)

4. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Finishes are exempt. Only way carpet or any other flooring would matter is demoing a subfloor that might contain asbestos or doing joist repair. Yes, lead but only if you’re sanding or removing. And only in homes built 77 or before.

5. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Finishes are exempt. Only way carpet or any other flooring would matter is demoing a subfloor that might contain asbestos or doing joist repair. Yes, lead but only if you’re sanding or removing. And only in homes built 77 or before.

6. fl0at_

Asked and answered.

If you want to filter it down to a home built in 2019 and owned by a 90 year old with no grandchildren... then yea, I'm not going to need a permit.

But the point is that there are times when I will, for even simple stupid things like painting and laying carpet.

7. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

But it hasn’t. Anyone with a little money can get a contractors license. And there are plenty that shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near a jobsite. And don’t get me started on minority contracts. Great in theory, not so much in practice. Which is govt again.

8. fl0at_

Government put the contractor's license requirements in place, man.

You're still starting from a place where there is regulatory interference.

If no license was required, and there was no adopted code, you think wages are still where they are?

Of course not. It's like saying Chicago land would still lay as much emt if they let nm fly. That's crazy talk.

9. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Actually, minority participation is one area I would agree that govt has increased wages. There are so few that they can inflate the price and net more money. Which is great, but generally is govt work some it comes at the expense of taxpayers. Not a fan of that.

justingroves likes this.
  10. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

I have no clue what that last line meant. But yes, I am still saying that govt regulations have no impact on what people earn. Possibly at the highest level, because GCs have contract limits and there are very few at the top. But those at the top are the ones flying around in private jets. The guys moving dirt, running wire, hanging drywall or laying tile are making the same working for him or me or anyone else.

11. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Really hope Bolton gets fired soon.

13. fl0at_

Yes. Those wages have benefited from the requirement that the people doing the work do so UNDER you, the CONTRACTOR. Which is regulatory.

What would happen, to your labor force, if those people were able to just do the work, without needing a license?

What would happen to the price you could bill for a job, if suddenly there were 20x more bids for the same job?

It is that simple.

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

In la county you need a permit to replace your toilet

16. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

But the Stable Genius already had planes on the way and ships positioned to strike. You can’t be wishy-washy once the ball is rolling without a damn good reason other than you just “changed your mind”.., if there IS a damn good reason, that reason hasn’t been publicized yet (to my knowledge) but Trump has a long history of not having his shit together and zig zagging at the last moment. Not very confidence inspiring, imo.

And to your other point, yes.... I freely admit I can be a fool at times.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

How can they enforce that?

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I’m pleased Trump called off the strike but the timing and reason seem in conflict. The US was 10 minutes out when Trump cancelled. He did so because he says he asked a general how many people could die and the answer was 150. Trump found this to be a disproportionate response (very reasonable take) so he cancelled.

But - wouldn’t collateral damage be assessed and communicated at the conception of the strike? What are we to assume - if 10 minutes out Trump hasn’t thought to ask, 150 people would be dead?

Makes me question the whole thing.

I’d be more willing to believe we wanted to give the appearance of force without risking further escalation so we planted the story.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They can't really. If you want Home Depot or Lowe’s or any major operation to put it on you have to pay for it. I think it's $50. your average plumber doesn't give a shit or if you put it in yourself.

20. fl0at_

If you screw it up, your insurance might not cover the damage, since it wasn't done to code.