President Trump Trade War?

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

President Trump and the other G7 Leaders are set to soon meet, even as shots are being fired over what looks to be a burgeoning trade war.

But with a $151B trade deficit with the EU, and Canada’s own and long-standing protectionist tariffs which mainly hurt the US (like a 270% tariff on dairy imports), I don’t see where Trump can fail to address and seek correction of these unfair trade imbalances....but neither do I expect that the other countries are going to like it, either.

While Canada’s Trudeau and France’s Marcron are particularly feisty, I like our chances.

A trade war won’t be good for anybody, but I don’t so strongly wish to prevent it by allowing anyone to continue to deal with us unfairly, and which I think is much more damaging to America, overall.

So, let’s see who blinks first.

* While technically true, he is leaving the G7 Summit earlier than originally expected, and it will be after a war of words on trade - it might help to know that he’s leaving early to travel to Singapore and for his meeting with North Korea.

Link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/EBAEA55A-6AF2-11E8-9D79-D3017CC7F747

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Should get interesting. Does anyone think we are not getting taken advantage of?

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think that Canada has a place for tariffs given their tiny market sitting next to our massive market. Agriculture is something they would need to be careful with. While it is not ideal for their domestic product pricing, I think the benefit assymetrically due to the proportion of folks impacted by those industries there.

I need to look into the breakdown on the trade imbalance with EU. I would bet there are reasonable steps that should be taken to improve that situation.

Still think we should be talking more about technology protection.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah but the other places are a bit of a house of cards too.

Canada has a personal debt issue and already trades at deficit on imports to exports

5. Tenacious D

This may offer some insight:
    Emphasis mine.

Link: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/26/eu-...-trade-surpluses-with-the-us--commentary.html[/quote]

6. Tenacious D

[​IMG]

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

When goods don’t cross boarders, soldiers will.

It will be curious to see how this plays out.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Canada will not send a single soldier over our border.

9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

No, but again, will someone please think of the Baldwins?

Tenacious D likes this.
  10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

If anything goes wrong, can Billy make a sound like a dying giraffe?

11. Tenacious D

This will play out as closely to the exact end that any POTUS wishes to occur, and s/he is willing to require.

Whether they want a race to the top, bottom, or in any other direction, the United States unavoidably awaits them.

They know it, and we know it. Their only true leverage is in convincing us to act as if we’ve forgotten this, or that it somehow isn’t true.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Russia is delighted.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

14. Tenacious D

Tenny wept.

15. Tenacious D

If this Trump - this guy RIGHT HERE - can just show up once every 7-10 days, he’ll not only win re-election, but in a landslide, and he’ll hand pick his successor, who will also win in a landslide.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

He so badly wants their acceptance it's almost gaining my sympathy for his pathetic need for validation.

17. Tenacious D

Yeah, that’s what he seems to crave....the acceptance and validation of G7 leaders.

It’s so obvious.

He covets it.

That’s why he demanded they pay their fair share of NATO.

That’s why he’s calling them out on their unfair trade practices.

That’s why he’s enacted tariffs directly against them.

The ol’ play hard to get by singlehandedly destroying their unfair trade advantages.

18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I was actually referring to the CNN quip, but his calling out of "unfair trade practices" was stupid and mostly false, too. Or, at best, disingenuous, like nearly every time he spouts some statistic, poll number, whatever.

19. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

They will all kiss the ring.

20. Tenacious D

Ha, really?

We’re finally at facts, and where you’ll stumble.

Tell me specifically which unfair trade claim he’s made about G7 countries that was false?

Name it.