President Trump Trade War?

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m ok with Trump worrying about America, and allowing Abe to worry about Japan.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Trump can't be right and wrong on the same issue. Is it a matter of national security to not be solely dependent on a foreign nation, or not? That's what Canada is doing with dairy. That is what the us does with various minerals, energy resources, and timber. Probably others.

So, which is it? Dependency on china for rare earth metals and on foreign energy, and on canadian timber, or Canada is wrong to keep their dairy industry alive?

3. Tenacious D

Fyp

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ending the timber tariff would devastate the Pacific northwest

5. Tenacious D

What can you build with milk?

6. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

IP, what you're not understanding is (targeted) Protectionism is great for the US, but terribly unfair and senseless for every other country. Make peace with this and all will fall into place.

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  7. Tenacious D

What’s so special about Canada’s dairy industry, again?

And what even makes it Canadian? Some arbitrary lines that white men drew on a map?

I’m pretty sure that we’re all just one big global community, and that’s how things work.*

*Source: Every 5th post

8. Tenacious D

Wait, isn’t protectionism always wrong?

I’ve been repeatedly assured that it is.

We may be onto something here.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Food supply is for building and maintaining people.

10. gcbvol

What? Then why have you been cheering on Trump as he clamors for it incessantly? Broad protectionist policies are a bad idea and inhibit fair trade. What we're talking about with Canada are very specific policies to protect at-risk industries. The US and every other country (I assume) does the same. We have to look at the big picture. We come out well ahead on trade with Canada. Not the case with all countries. Fight the real monsters; don't build them from papier mache.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

For one, they don't have the same level of pasteurization for certain cheeses that are not sold in the us at all because they don't meet fda standards. Two, they have no say in our politics and thus no control over our standards or supply lines. Thus, while they import dairy now, they don't want to be completely obligated to do so or lose their own cultural dairy products that the us doesn't make, which wouldn't be possible without a minimum level of dairy in the country.

If you think absolute free trade on anything is the way to go, so be it. I am trying to figure out why you aren't against other trump policies then.

If I didn't know any better, I would think the objective here is chaos for the purposes of making well-positioned people money.

12. Tenacious D

So are peaches.

Are you advocating for protectionist peach policies now, too?

Which side are you on, here, IP? Which country do you want to win?

13. Tenacious D

Bullshit. This is not only entirely possible, but the deeper you dive into an issue, the more likely it can become.

Need a working example? Sure.

Exhibit A: We’re friends.

14. Tenacious D

I’ve included your vote in favor of protectionist policies.

I legit sometimes think you must own a MAGA hat, but only wear it around the house, at night, with the blinds drawn and the lights turned low.

Que NYY barging in.

15. Tenacious D

If US milk doesn’t meet Canadian standards, then just ban it. Don’t tack on a 270% tax on it.

But pick one.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

It isn't a zero-sum game. That seems to be a fundamental point of contention here.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Other way around. Canadian cheeses often don't meet us standards.

18. gcbvol

Haha. Come on now, you know good and well this is not an all or nothing proposition. Some protectionist policies make sense; broad protectionist-first policy is no bueno. And the only way you'll catch me in a MAGA hat is if the M and last A are removed and the G is converted to a C. That could work.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Being right and wrong seems like a roundabout description of being inaccurate and/or imprecise.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

they are way too cheesy

21. Tenacious D

This is the fallacy of false choice, IP.

You mistakenly assume and assert that I can only choose between the acceptance or rejection of a policy.

I can’t say it any more simply, sincerely or straightforward than this:

I am for the United States of America, first, foremost, in everything, at all times and without exception.

Now, I neither want nor would support our wanton and unfair harm to others, believing that such is wrong and against both our moral creed and responsibility as the preeminent leader of the world, but that sufficient pressure should be exerted, where and to the extent that such, again, first works to the best interest of our nation, and the betterment, prosperity and safety of the world, second.