President Trump's First 100 Days

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Nov 13, 2016.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

What do you mean by "alt-right", and what is so worrisome about it?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

So much for reconciliation. That attitude lasted about a day. You revel in the protests. You applaud the growth of an already absurdly large prison system. You laugh at Bannon being named chief adviser.

We get it. We read it loud and clear.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

What o you mean by "what do you mean?" Is this the first time you heard this term?

5. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

I don't want to say this, but I see Trump becoming a whole lot more liberal than he currently is by the time he reaches the end of his 1st term. Just looking at this past, and the fact that he supported The Clinton's for all those years, makes me think a leopard doesn't change its spots. I could be wrong and he's become a completely reformed conservative, but I just think that as time rolls on he goes back to his old ways. I could just be a Trump cynic though, and that's entirely possible.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I admit, I would laugh my ass off if it turned out that he makes Hillary look more conservative than himself.

7. Tenacious D

You're being a BOSG.

I desperately want reconciliation, but not at any cost. How much would you like? Would you be satisfied if Trump sought the same level of reconciliation, and with equal frequency, as President Obama regularly sought?

I've not spoken a single ill word about the protests, and in fact, believe there's nothing whatsoever wrong with it. I've been clear that I understood the anger and concern, and even attributed some of that to Trump's own doing. Do I think that they are entirely meaningless exercises? Sure I do. But I'm always for the legal exercising of rights, including to protest and peaceable assembly.

I didn't laugh at Bannon's being named Chief Counsel inspiring protest, but noted that it would cause even more protests, including from President-Elect Trump's own Party. It's just an observation of what I believe the reaction to that news will be.

I wish you would read it, either loud and clear, or even partially and quietly.

8. Tenacious D

Again, you're climbing a tree to pick a fight, when I'm willing - wanting and welcoming, even - to stand on the ground and talk, together. GCB has some concerns with Bannon and the "alt-right" and I'm trying to make sure that I even understand what he means, or what gives rise to those concerns, so as to correctly understand him.

I have myself been corrected, and quite correctly, for having misidentified, misunderstood or mistakenly identified groups and their beliefs (e.g. Liberals, Christian-Right, etc.) and am trying not to make the same mistake again.

What would you prefer I did, instead?

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Let's start here: Executive Orders. Which ones are unconstitutional, so as we can score his progress?

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Why is reconciliation the top priority? Shouldn't the agenda that got him there be his goal? He's not there to make buddies and appease Washington or the idiots calling him a racist. He's there to blow up Washington, send illegals home, shrink government, kill Obamacare, overturn a bunch of presidential legislation by fiat, set term limits and attack corruption. After that, if he wants to make buddies, so be it.

If he cozies up, he's just another of them.

11. Tenacious D

I think he most likely refers to those on immigration and bans on certain energy production, but am not sure that's correct. Perhaps a good start would be a list of every EO that President Obama has signed, and we can guess from there. I don't recall where President-elect Trump has delineated which he believes to be unconstitutional, but it's entirely possible that I missed it.

Of everything listed, are the removal of those EO's the only concerning part of his 100 day plan?

12. Tenacious D

I didn't mean to imply that reconciliation is a target at all, or that it even should be.

I'm still wrestling with if / how / at what cost / to what length that should be considered, myself, to be honest.

Right or wrong, I will find it interesting to watch the roil of anger if he essentially follows President Obama's tac toward reconciliation..."elections have consequences, and I won."...."legislate with the stroke of a pen"...etc.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Prisons are about revenge? Is that what you are saying or am I misinterpreting what you are saying?

14. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I agree with a lot of this. Had Clinton won, she'd be talking shit about a '"mandate from the people" and how conservatives need to sit down and shut up while she does whatever she damn well wants. Obama said pretty much that when he was elected (and re-elected). Why is reconciliation only a priority when the GOP person wins?

15. Savage Orange

Sarcasm detectors..... DEPLOY!!

16. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I'm referring to the far right movement with a largely white nationalist bent. I don't necessarily find anything wrong with putting America first, as had been Trump's platform, as long as it's done with intelligence. Nationalism isn't inherently bad, but the brand espoused by the alt right, and provided a platform by Bannon is. I'm not saying the man is a white nationalist, but his history with the alt right is especially troubling for a presidential adviser. I know some do not feel reconciliation is important, but when a country is divided as this one I don't believe Trump can suffer highly controversial picks like this. The Bannon pick makes the far right happy, sure, but only makes things worse with the folks he needs to bring together.

It's my opinion, of course. I'm sure many will disagree.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

With all that is being thrown around right now, my sarcasm detectors are off line. Why I asked.

18. Savage Orange

Trump is just doing what all Presidents (at least the most recent ones, especially Obama) have done. BHO's appointees couldn't possibly be more radical left. I'm surprised he didn't hire Wavy Gravy and Jane Fonda to some post.... The left has run amok the past eight years without much apology or explanation so I'm not surprised at all that Trump is following established procedure here...

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

absurdly left. His two SCOTUS appointments are a freaking pathetic joke.

20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

As the rift in the country continues to widen. Let's double down! That should fix things.