President Trump's First 100 Days

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

It's the same thing conservatives said 8 years ago.... I'm not saying its a good plan of action... I'm just saying thats how things work. Winner gets to name their own staff. Usually, they'll play to their base.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

So you're under some impression that a political rift is going to moderate? Have you lost your mind?

3. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Democrats defended the powers under President Obama with presidential powers that have never been more expansive and unchecked in the history of the republic. The [itch bay]ing and crying is nothing compared to when they are undone.

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

The rift in this country goes beyond politics. The broken, corrupt duopoly has done plenty of damage and I hold no expectation politics is going to fix anything. It can makes things worse, however, hand in hand with the media. Hell, maybe that is exactly what we should hope for. Let's race to the climax so we can find out what's on the other side.

5. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

Justice, by definition, is revenge.

Sadly, in a broken and sinful world, loving one's enemies and turning other cheeks just doesn't seem to fit in.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The single worst thing that Trump could do to the left....is to treat them exactly as President Obama treated the right for the last 8 years.

Really give that some thought.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I agree 100%. Obama, particularly early in his Presidency, was "I won, get over it" in his attitude. It really hurt his Presidency as both sides dug in and nothing was done save the horrible Obamacare legislation.

But Trump is too erratic, and will be saying stuff over here then over there and up and down. I don't know how you can work with someone that denies facts and makes crap up to suit his world image, or worse, sees something on the internet and takes it as fact.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

My less-than-bold prediction, about what has everyone so terrified of Trump:

The days of Republicans voluntarily squandering the ability to vigorously push an unapologetically partisan agenda forward, in the truly vain hope of avoiding the ire and disagreement of the Dems / Left, and which the Dems never and similarly ever seem one whit concerned to reciprocate when they are in power, are over. Dead. Dead, dead. Gone dead.

If Trump has thus far proven nothing else, it is that he is unafraid of - or hell, doesn't even typically acknowledge - the gnashing of teeth and loud protestations of the other side. And good or bad, right or wrong, however dis/agreeable some may find it to be.....he wasn't elected to protect and promote the status quo, he seems to have little personal respect for it, and is most likely to largely go his own way, no matter what other side thinks, or even mostly what his own Party thinks.

9. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Honest question because I'm not at all versed in politics: what party does he most affiliate with? He is fiscally conservative and socially liberal? Isn't that the libertarian party line? It feels like he really can't be put under any label...which is probably a good thing.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I don't see how you think the Republicans are afraid to push an agenda. I really don't.

Republicans did a pretty good job unapologetically pushing their agenda by blocking everything they possibly could block. Not saying that's not the way it should be or the way it shouldn't be.

I just find your views on this particular matter tremendously myopic at best and a victim mentality at worst.

But I'm the guy that thinks in a country essentially split 50-50, it's not a terrible thing to find some consensus. There's nothing wrong with working together, imo. I'm fully aware that it's not a popular opinion, but I own it and will continue to do so.

11. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Reconciliation? Screw that. The people spoke loud and clear. It wasn't even close. Enough with the, "what will you say to assure people you aren't the monster we created you to be?". If I was Trump I'd tell them to grow up and get a life. I'm going to swing my monster [penis] mandate around and do what I was elected to do. Get on board or pick a hill to die on. I guess he basically did just that by bringing on Bannon.

12. NorrisAlan

The popular vote was 62.9 for Trump to 62.2 million for Clinton. He has no Big [penis] Mandate to swing.

13. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Yep, if the GOP/Trump fall for this reconciliation non-sense AGAIN, then the GOP deserves the apathetic vote it will get in 2 and 4 years from now. The people spoke loudly and I don't think Trump is going to fall for this reconciliation bs. I was disheartened last night on 60 minutes when he gave credence to the establishment media meme that minorities were being attacked. Actually, it is quite the opposite.

14. Savage Orange

The GOP largely turned their backs on him for most of the race. He owes them nothing. That said, the GOP is still in charge over most of the country so he'd be smart to bury the hatchet with them and get the things he wants done, done. As others have said, he's gotta get over Twitter and social media in general... I have to admit though that whenever he has zagged he's usually come up looking good. He seems to have a knack for forecasting events before they happen and that will serve him well.

15. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Yeah, he does. Landslide electoral win. GOP controls House/Senate/and 31 governors. The people have rebuked the Left's version of America. Elections have consequences as Obama informed us.

16. NorrisAlan

Ok. The US doesn't live in the Electoral College world, though. "States" are not people.

17. Savage Orange

There are still over 4 million absentee ballots uncounted in California alone... The popular vote will go to Clinton.

18. NorrisAlan

If so, that makes it even less of a "mandate".

19. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Hopefully this will pull the GOP to a more socially liberal, fiscally conservative position nation wide. Trump should work to do away with the Federal Government recognizing marriage at all. It should recognize civil union contracts between 2 people. He should also, at the least, work towards legalizing pot and releasing non violent drug offenders. The big business prisons, as some have mentioned, need to be severely cut.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  20. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

States make up the Union of States. The race was run with the electoral college as the outcome, not popular vote. It was a landslide.