Pruitt learning to be a head coach

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Butthole, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I do wish Pruitt had a Dobbs and Kamara to work with.
    You only show me a backdrop passer in college and defensive coordinator has an easier job. You are gonna run, throw a quick wr hitch, a slant, deep in on 2nd or 3rd and 10+. or take a shot deep if man on outside with no help. Bite on everything youbsee because its probably an accurate read. Dont worry about rush lanes, QB boots, QB keeps, scrambling athletic plays or giving up a 3rd down run for 4 yards on 3rd and 3.

2. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Since we're wishing, can I add a Derek Barnett and a Cam Sutton off that team too?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    warhammer, MaconVol and justingroves like this.
  3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Cam Newton?

4. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Holy hell! All this Aubrun hate talk infected my brain. My sincerest apologies. Sutton, Cam Sutton!

RockyHill likes this.
  5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Fulmer has said the ‘recruiting budget’ is bigger than it’s ever been.

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

You ring the same bell in almost every thread. We are currently starting the #3 dual threat quarterback in the '16 class. Alabama won 26 of its 28 national championships with drop back passers, and had to bench the runner for the dropper to get 28. UGa vaulted into dominance with straight drop back, and something like half of the top 25 want the QB to throw most of the time. There are different ways of doing it and doing it well.

The fact that our quarterback doesn't run enough is somewhere around #85 on the "shit we have to fix" list.

Savage Orange and IP like this.
  7. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

That was a mis-evaluation. And on your Alabama point, Tua might be a better passer than a thrower, but he's still a dual threat. And even disregarding that, Alabama won the first three nattys under Nick in spite of their offense, not because of it. We don't have an all time great defense, nor do we have an OL full of maulers. Nor do we have two NFL backs in the same backfield. Half of the top 25 aren't facing a month full of top 10 defensive lines, either. So yes, right now, at Tennessee, you either find a dual threat QB or assemble dominant linemen to even have a hope of competing. I shouldn't have to tell you which one is easier to find.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Well, the oline class Pruitt has hauled in for 2019 is elite

9. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

They are, but history has taught me that there will be a bust in that group. Which is why its good we've got, what, 5 of them?

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Tua is starting at Bama because of his arm, not his legs. The guy he replaced could run too. He has the ability to get the football to those 4 and 5 star WRs better than anyone Saban has coached there.

Dual threat, SEC ready QB's don't just fall out of the sky. The best we ve had in recent memory graduated 2 years ago and he didn't show up on campus that way.

UT isn't gonna win anything of note without a dominate OL and a stout defense. Pruitt knows that regardless of scheme. And everyone knows that is not gonna happen in the middle of this run against top 25 teams either no different than them finding the next great dual threat QB is during that time.

11. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

History has told me that the last regime was poor at evaluating in some cases and most definitely developing most every position most notably the OL. Thats not Pruitts history yet.

12. Ssmiff

The only qbs to beat Nick Saban have been mobile qbs. The final 4 teams each year tend to have mobility at qb, including Fromm able to keep it every now and then, which they couldn't due with Jesus that transferred back west. I don't care what 2016 ranking said, just as I didn't with Richmond. Some dumbasses rated him dual threat. If you don't think a mobile qb that can extend drives couldn't help this team right now, and in the years to come, you are entitled to think drop back is fine. We have several issues and awareness, ability, feel, anticipation, agility, athletic ability are all missing at the qb spot, and are high on my list directly behind OL and TE.

13. cotton

Fromm is dual threat but jg isn't?

14. cotton

It seems to me that there are ways to move a football without having deshaun Watson under center. And still saying we have a guy that can run. Easy to sit back with the easy, two word magic answer. Tougher to actually rebuild a power FB program.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And still after another

16. Ssmiff

I'm not calling Fromm anything, but he can and has kept it several times with their rpos. Extended drives often last year. Has JG run for 1 yard this year?

17. Ssmiff

It can be Deshaun Smiff if hes able to go thru reads quickly or feel a blitz and get out of dodge. Doesnt have to be Watson or often. The ability and threat is enough at times.

18. Ssmiff

Fromm ran several times vs us last year and a couple tds. Just saying if JG can, i wish he would, and if he csn and does, we have a chance at some wins late in the year. If hes standing in the pocket holding the ball and unable, we don't.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

JG seems to have the physical skills. He just appears to struggle with decision making. He has run a few times but not often.