Pruitt...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by BigOrangeBeech, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Gator H8R

Gator H8R Member

Im all in on Pruitt at this point. I haven't had this much confidence in a coach since Kiffin. Granted, he is learning on the job being a first time head guy, but he is making very obvious strides week after week. If he can coach this team to 6 wins and a bowl game, it will be a lot of much needed momentum on the recruiting trail. He has to, I repeat, HAS TO have a top 10 class this year, and every year following. If he can do that, I can see him turning this ship around.

He may or may not be good enough to win championships here, but I am very confident that he will have the cupboard stocked if we do ever elect to move on from him.

2. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Appeared to me that JG was looking up at the replay, or something, rather than looking Pruitt in the eye as he was addressing him, and Pruitt essentially yanked the facemask down in a “look at me when I’m talking to you” kinda way.

In a sport where we expect the player to go out and get clobbered every 6 seconds by 300lb freaks, it seems flat stupid that a coach can’t touch his facemask in the heat of battle.

SeabeeVol, warhammer, A-Smith and 7 others like this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

agreed. not ideal interaction, but also not worth more than a passing comment.

reVOLt likes this.
  4. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Meanwhile Saban keeps judy in the game when he doesn't even remember his own last name, and not a peep.

5. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yeah, thought that was interesting. Did you see his arms fold up after Bituli hit him?

IP likes this.
  6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pruitt showed more balls in one game than Dooley or Butch did in 8 years.

I will admit, I have always liked Pruitt and I've felt he was better than the results showed.

After Saturday night, I'm not hoping, I feel confident Pruitt will build a very physical, ass kicking type of team. He may never win more than 8 or 9, but it's going to be fun teams to watch again.

reVOLt, VOLinDAWGland and Oldvol75 like this.
  7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He didn't look uncomfortable like at times last year, he looked pissed. Pruitt was expecting to win that game and it showed

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the win caveat is only coming up because of where we are now. if he wins 8 or 9 next year, it suddenly becomes very plausible that he can do more with a deep roster.

8 wins was on the table even this year.

Oldvol75 likes this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's just got to keep recruiting

Tenacious D likes this.
  10. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

If he gets the players, I think we'll all be happy with the win loss total from year to year.

But I hope we can go from a 10-20 ranking every year in recruiting to top 5. Or at least top 3 in the SEC.

A-Smith, Memtownvol and Oldvol75 like this.
  11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think 99% of the fan base would be pretty confident at this point had we taken care of business in our first two games.

chavisut and IMISSTHEBOWLBROS like this.
  12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I've liked Pruitt. Gst won't happen again. That was arrogance of the thought that I have upperclassmen sec players and a 4th year qb along with a good OC and we will just be vanilla and try to win with no injuries or showing anything. Byu is on him for not sending JG to NJ the week after he left 35 points on the board vs Gst.

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS likes this.
  13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The biggest problem he faces at this point is one of perception. He's still the guy that blew those two games. Your average joe doesn't realize that if not for some crappy calls we might have beat Bama. He just sees another 3 touchdown loss. He's still got to show something down the stretch here to breath some life back into the recruiting class.

Memtownvol likes this.
  14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This.

We’re going to lose to USC & Mizzou, finish 5-7 and miss a bowl. Anything beyond that is icing.

Go ahead and start wrapping your minds around this reality, now, so that I don’t have to suffer through 6,274 comments from those who are suddenly back “in” on Pruitt today....but who will leap right back “out” on him, the second this undermanned, wafer-thin, across-the-board young and inexperienced roster unsurprisingly underperforms and fails to meet these now delusional and too lofty expectations in losing 2-3 of these remaining 5 games.

Because 2 (Mizzou & USC) of the final 5 teams left on our schedule are notably better than us.

We’re probably on par with the other 3.

That’s why.

Wins, a winning record and a bowl game would be awesome - but all that matters right now is recruiting + player development.

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The overwhelming majority of our fan base 85% (+/- 5%) is entirely on board with Pruitt, are actively rooting for his success, and are at least as hopeful for his future as they were with Kiffin, if not more.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That really hasn't been my experience.

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I think people have backed off the idea that he's going to be a catastrophic failure thats fired after 2 years.

I think the "all in" is a little overplayed.

18. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

He showed a lot on Saturday so now he's trending up. He keeps up what he did this week in the remaining games he will stay in good favor with the fans. We hiccup again, that changes quickly.

reVOLt likes this.
  19. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

All I want to see is a solid game plan, players looking like they know what's going on, and effort. At this point, I know we are thin and inexperienced. Would I love to win out? Sure. Do I understand if we don't? Yes, as long as the previously mentioned conditions are met. We beat UAB, KY and Vandy while looking good doing it, I will be happy. They get curbstomped by Vandy again, and yes, I will most certainly doubt Pruitt again.

However, the players respond to Pruitt, which I doubted after BYU. They look better prepared, focused, and are playing with a ton of heart and effort. They continue to play like they have against GA and Bama, I will roll with the outcomes, win or lose.

20. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Alabama is miles better than either, and we hung around.