Pruitt's "signature win"

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Oct 15, 2018.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pruitt has a long history of success against Gus Malzahn. He’s now 5-1 against him as a DC or a HC. He knew exactly what to do to beat him. The fact it was on the Plains just makes it a little better.

Now, what does this win mean? Well, 5 star OT commit Wanya Morris was in attendance. The biggest opponent for his signature on signing day? Auburn. You sell this win to recruits. You sell this win to your team. You’re better than what people think.

Go on the road to beat an SEC West team? Tennessee hasn’t done that since 2007 against Mississippi State. Beat a ranked opponent? That hasn’t happened since the Dobbnail boot, that was also the last time Tennessee beat a ranked opponent on the road. It’s the first win at Auburn since 1998. That’s a lot of monkeys off your back at one time.

Auburn is either going to fold and quit, making this win seem insignificant or they finish strong and stay around 25th in the rankings. Either way, Tennessee fans watched their coaching staff out maneuver the reigning SEC West champs in their house and win rather easily. Auburn had 10 (ten) rushing yards in the second half. That’s domination.

A much maligned sophomore quarterback finally had his breakout game. JG has a lot of issues, but he’s one of the toughest guys to put on a Tennessee jersey. He’s earned my respect. A WR group finally showed what they can do as well. Callaway is going to win every jump ball and there isn’t a player that gives his all for Tennessee any better than Jennings.

We saw freshmen making plays. Oh look, that’s true freshman corner Bryce Thompson breaking up passes and picking off wobbly ducks. Oh, that’s true freshman Alontae Taylor scooping and scoring.

Paul Bain was unblockable for a half and Taylor is starting to force QBs up in the pocket. Alexis Johnson is beating teams that only spend one blocker on him. Tennessee is finding a pass rush.

Depth, which everyone worried about, was shown to be half decent. Jahmir Johnson goes down, Neihaus, Carvin and Hall come in and the Oline still did a serviceable job. The oline isn’t great, but there wasn’t a noticeable dip with the backups came in. Kongbo tears a knee, his replacement gets 4 tackles and what was, for the most part, the game clinching 4th down sack.

This is the “signature win” that every first year coach needs. It’s vital for the fanbase’s psyche, for the team and for the staff. It gives them something to point to, a building block. It’s also good to tell Auburn to go to hell. Tennessee still has Alabama and still must finish strong against the rest of the East, but it’s a lot easier to feel good about what’s going on when a team comes out of a bye and looks well coached and well prepared.

There are still a lot of issues, but this team isn’t scared to get hit in the face and come back up. We didn’t see that under Butch. We’re seeing it now. Embrace the scrappy under dog role, it’s where Tennessee is at right now.

dknash, MaconVol, reVOLt and 3 others like this.
  2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

His signature win is going to be this upcoming Saturday.

IMO IFYA GBO

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This cannot be overstated. This CANNOT be overstated.

Historically it was a necessity.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

WGWTFA

in two years

5. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Groves you trying to make us feel good about Tennessee football again? Sunshine pumper.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My inner fan has knocked out my logical side, tied him up, locked him in a closet, put on orange colored glasses, and has a glass of 180 proof orange kool aid in his hand at all times at the moment. And I don't care how hard I come crashing back to earth on Saturday, I've put up with 10 years of crap and I'm going to enjoy every last second of it.

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

We’re wiping the smile off Kentucky’s season next month too.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

And I'll be there to watch live. #CantWait

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Good points, JG.

And to your last point... this team is taking on the personality of their HC. He's a fighter. He's also a bit of an under dog that will do everything in his power to outwork you. That's a recipe for success in football, life, tiddlywinks, etc.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We saw a staff finally put 100% trust in their players and the players finally "get it". That was the 2009 South Carolina game all over, minus Neyland and black jerseys. You had an extremely frustrated veteran QB do dumb things, a few turnovers and a much maligned defense choke the life out of the opposition.

It is hopefully a turning point

Memtownvol likes this.
  12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And a coach who has won some big ballgames trying every trick play he had in the book because he knew the guy on the other sideline had his number.

Memtownvol likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Well, the first thing that had to happen was Tua not playing. That looks likely. There isn't another coach that has been with Saban from the ground up like Pruitt, either. I would say he knows the strengths and weaknesses of them better than anyone not named Saban.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

We have to attack the middle of the field this week.

15. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I think it is the turning point we’ve been waiting for. These guys have learned to work within their limitations and still find ways to make plays. Auburn is in deep trouble though and I doubt they win another SEC game this year. I don’t say that to poo-poo our win at all. We still had to go out and get it. I just think these guys saw Saturday what they’re capable of when they refuse to quit at the first adversity. That’ll be big later down the stretch.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Auburn has the best defensive front four in the SEC. Their final record doesn't diminish what Tennessee's oline was able to do to them, to me. That was what got me more excited than anything. Their biggest strength versus Tennessee's biggest weakness and it wasn't a gigantic beat down.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This is what I have noticed the most. Butch teams would fold already and the wheels would be coming completely off. These guys keep coming to play and believe they can win any game. That is the type of improvement I like to see. Imagine that attitude with a roster full of talent.

Memtownvol, reVOLt, NYY and 1 other person like this.
  18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

They’ve got some dudes all over the field. They may be a wreck at the moment, but that’s a good football team.

Beat Washington and was right there at the end with LSU.

This was a high quality SEC win for any program in the conference. And a godsend for ours.

Memtownvol and lylsmorr like this.
  19. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

That Auburn team would’ve rolled Butch 38-10 on Saturday.

Memtownvol and MWR like this.
  20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think we can attack deep down the sidelines as well.