Purdue wrapup

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Ssmiff, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Fun game to watch today. We outhustled, outmuscled, outcoached and outplayed a Purdue team picked 2nd in the Big 10. For some that may not follow the team as much...
    Bone--played solid again. Big 3 late in the game. Best ballhandling pg we've had in awhile. Still needs to finish and get to ft line more.
    Alexander--dude had a game and has turned from a giraffe on skates to a good player. Huge 3 late when down 5, and we don't hit those without Barnes allowing them to rip it. Double double.
    Bowden--off day. Tough for him to get much going against a bigger team. He and Grant both off in first half and we were tied.
    Grant--slow start and not sure he scored in the first half, but took over late and OT. Again showing several moves and court vision and feel. Looks comfortable on the corner 3 this year. Dominated bigger Purdue down low.
    Admiral--all over the court again. Can play multiple positions and great midrange.
    Lemonte--he just needs to keep launching without remorse his whole career. Had a fantastic flying rebound as well. Started the 9-0 run to end the half, that turned into 16-0 run.
    Fulk--not much today. Difficult matchup for him.
    Daniel--i like this kid. Seems like he enjoys playing on a team like UT and is unselfish, though he let the country in scoring prior. 2 big fts late when None went down. Knows how to feed the post, as our guards do pretty well. A lost art. Couple of turnovers but gonna be solid.
    Darrington--still trying to figure out his game. Not a great ballhandler.
    Walker--didnt play much but was strong when he did
    Pons--juat 1 minute of play

I was also one that was on Hubbs a lot. This team does not miss his lack of energy and effort. We started today 2-16 I believe and body language last year would have been awful but we got some dogs on this team. Admiral and Bone hurt today though and we don't need that.

2. Grant Williams balled out. He’s a freaking stud.

This is a fun team to watch. They play hard and hustle. I’ve got tickets to see them play UNC and UK and can’t wait.

gcbvol likes this.
  3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Thanks for the player by player recap. I like the format.

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

The game comes naturally to Grant. Very smart player. Uses his shoulders to turn and get his shot off over bigger players. Old school simple stuff that is an art

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah me too. I’ve got season tix but theyve always liked to schedule UK on Tuesdays which ruled me out. Not this year though.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Really looked like a tournament team today

7. I only have season tickets for football, but got an email from UT offering lower level tickets for UK so I jumped on it.

8. Ssmiff

and again I like how Barnes will keep going to the guy who is feeling it. He saw Lemonte launch and hit one when we needed, and rewarded him with a set play to get a step back off a pick. I would have absolutely loved to play for Barnes. You know you play D or you sit. Play aggressive and rebound or you sit. And you better be ready to take a shot. Hesitate and come out.

9. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Interested to see how Walker develops this year.

10. Ssmiff

he appears to be the right handed kid that may finish better with his left. He was stuck under the rim surrounded by that height, though softest height I've ever seen, came up on the other side of the rim with a little quick flick before they could react.
    Barnes will make his players more confident and skilled if they let him. Punter last year, Turner, Grant, Bone, Alexander...all improved their strokes this summer with changes thru the staff.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Those seven footers need to play up to their size. Geez, that's a lot of wasted height when they're reaching out and pushing. Just be a tree and make someone shoot it over you.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

The Dejuan Blair way. Every post player big or small should watch his tape to learn.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The other thing he does is get the ball and go. Doesn’t waste a bunch of time and pump fake 23 times