Quarterback coaching candidates

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tmac61, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Tmac61

Tmac61 Has Credentials- Walter Effin Cronkite

Ok, lets all make a big assumption here that Lyle is retained, finds some common sense and realizes how bad he is at coaching football. Being that finding a QB coach would be priority numero uno, who will be some viable candidates. And sense we are already assuming lets say this coach also gets the coordinator/co-coordinator role.

1. G.A. Mangus. Wanted the job lat year when he sensed Spurrier wasn't long for S.C. Has a knack for turning average athletes/QB's into good players. Also a standout recruiter.

2. Clay Helton. Another guy who would have taken the job last year. Doesn't that just piss you off knowing some of these guys were highly interested? He's done well for himself at USC. Could get a head coaching gig.

3. Sonny Cumbie. A rising star who could also get a head coaching gig. He's done wonders for Boykin.

4. Mike Locksley. One of the best recruiters in the NCAA. On Trooper's Taylor's level. As far as actual coaching he is average but far better than we have now.

Add your own and lets please not turn this into another Lyle-bashing thread. We have plenty of those already.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Todd Helton

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

We talkin about a guy who could have had whoever he wanted and went with DeBord. I see no reason to speculate on who he will hire next.

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Haven't you watched the games? We're progressing. No need to make any changes now.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Clay may end up coaching himself into head coaching job.

I'm betting DeBord takes over the OL and keeps the OC title, Mahoney is shown the door and Sheridan is retained.

6. Tmac61

Worst case scenario and Lyle's final nail...

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yep

8. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Snowballs chance in hell we hire a legitimate OC or QB coach. It's not even worth discussing.

9. Tmac61

Not the point. The point is to ignite some actual intelligent football conversation, which this board is severely lacking.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You want to talk about something everyone knows isn't a possibility?

11. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Easy, don't make Card come in here.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would say his final nail was hiring DeBord over the guys you mentioned in your first post.

13. Tmac61

Yes I get it...We're all beaten down Vol fans on the brink. Doesn't mean we can't talk some football.

14. Tmac61

Card is 35 years old and lives with his mother...not scared.

Also we are life long friends. He is the one that invited me to this board.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's the thing, the more I talk about what he could have actually done, the madder I get.

I'm ready for him to sell his ass off into a middling Big 10 job, throw a few jabs at the fanbase on his way out and the VQ and VN idiots to cry about us "negavols running off a good man" until a new coach is hired. Then, we can either hire the right guy or repeat this again in 3 years.

16. Tmac61

Fair enough. Feel the same way...but I do like football and I do like talking about it in a reasonable manner. Even if it just hypothetical...

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would absolutely love to see a guy like Cumbie here. You may only get him until Kingsbury gets run out of town at Tech, but he would do good things.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I am kind of surprised Mangus wasn't the interim at USCe. It must have been the DUI he got a while back

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

We might as well be talking about which former American Secretary of State Putin plans to bring over to Russia to help implement some democratic reforms. When it comes to Tennessee football, the elephant in the room is the only thing worth discussing. Admittedly there's only so much you can say. But the fact that there are only a finite number of ways to say that Butch sucks doesn't make all other points any less moot.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Say what?