Quick thoughts on the game

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I still think we pull the upset against Kentucky. We’ll see how the Georgia game goes, but they’ve been fairly mediocre the last three SEC games, they’ve got the biggest game in their history this week, and they’re going to follow it with a trip to their personal house of horrors. They are better than us this year, but we are catching them at the perfect time

A-Smith likes this.
  2. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Now that y’all have vented. It was a team loss.

1. Pruitt looked confused in 4th. Muschamp ate him and was prepared for our best weapons...physical WRs.

2. Our physical WRs did not win ANY 50/50 balls. Full choke. Callaway dropped a critical pass just short of sticks. Palmer never got off the bus.

3. OL gave up crucial penetration.

4. Our DL was gashed repeatedly.

5. We gave up big pass plays. TKJr? Yikes.

6. With the new rule on kickoff fair catches, we were UNPREPARED for their returns giving them great field position.

7. JG enjoys getting hit. Holds the ball too long and always has.

8. The refs played bad too. Of all things, the PI call on Buchanan was just flat out a lie. It wasn’t even close. I get the focus on the fumble, but at least it was a mosh pit. The PI call was seriously manufactured.

9. Our OL had crucial pre-snap penalties.

I have nothing positive. If you can’t nutup to beat Muschamp, stay home. He has lost to tons of crappy teams, but NEVER us. This was a big disappointment that only winning out can come close to repairing.

STOP RATIONALIZING!!!! We were not prepared at any level other than decent play calls on O much of the game.

DO BETTER NOW and quit this next year crap!

VolDad likes this.
  3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

We are not a good team.

At least not good enough to beat just about any SEC team if they play even average (average means to each specific teams average output, mistakes, etc.), and even if we play near mistake free football. We can keep it close, but will have no real chance to win. See Georgia.

If they play below average and we play near mistake-free, we can win. See Auburn.

If they play like shit and we play below average with the same or more mistakes, we will lose. See USC.

If they play above average, and we play less than our average, or make even a few critical mistakes, we’re going to get smoked. See Bama, UF.

I can think of a dozen+ instances last night where USC lined up on first down and busted a run right up the middle for 7-9 yards. Tennessee isn’t going to be beat any SEC team when they allow 2nd & 3rd and short, than not.

And even despite this, USC damned sure tried to give that one away last night. Why they did anything - anything - but just hand the ball off up the middle and then try a couple of bombs over the top, was just astounding to me.

Side note: Muschamp is the Gamecock version of Ron Zook, and if he stays there more than 3-4 more years, he’ll run it even further into the ground, IMO. He will never, ever win the SECE as long as he’s at USC. And I’m ok with that.

I’d take Pruitt 100 times out of 100 over Muschamp. Even after yesterday’s disappointing day.

TL;DR - Tennessee must play BOTH above it’s head and near mistake free to even have a chance at beating an SEC team. And then, that team must play below it’s average and/or make enough mistakes to help us. And even when they do, it’s still just a small window of a chance.

IP and lylsmorr like this.
  4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Next class can put UT easily above the Kentuckys, Vanderbilts, Missouris, etc. UT is not easily above anyone right now. It sucks. It's hard to accept, but it's true.

Anyone that was expecting some miraculous turnaround just because you are tired of losing, well you did this to yourself. Temper your expectations to something more realistic this year.

Memtownvol likes this.
  5. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

It blows my mind that Muschamp won’t go get a legit OC. It really isn’t that hard.

6. Tenacious D

We cannot rush 4 and get pressure.

Maybe once or twice a game, if even at all.

I’m really, really sick and tired of watching us rush four and the QB having 5+ seconds to wait on a guy to come open before throwing it. Our secondary is lucky to guard the WR’s for 3 seconds half the time, anyway, and rushing 4 hangs them out to dry.

If a QB is going to beat us throwing, I’d MUCH rather we forced him to make a throw under some semblance of duress, than just to sit back there and pick us apart.

Hell, we still get routinely beat over the top, even dropping 7.

If they’re going to beat you, then make them make a play to beat you. Allowing them 5+ seconds to throw is the exact opposite of this.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Problem with blitzing last night is leaving TK jr in middle of the field to cover a slot or TE and easy to attack

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

We will beat Kentucky.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Then blitz him.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He tripped Thompson on a blitz

11. Ssmiff

He woulda had to send him saturday morning

12. Ssmiff

And TK supposed to have the rb or te that released and made the catch. 4th string for a reason

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Kentucky sets up good.
    2 emotional wins over average teams (they got a gift from the officials yesterday), with UGA rolling in for the east.

Actually like that matchup better than Mizzou.

A-Smith likes this.
  14. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

If we could get Abernathy and Flowers both back in time for Mizzou that would certainly help.

15. Tenacious D

What’s wrong with Shamburger?

Is he a Butch recruit?

Why is TK playing now? Is he hurt?

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He's one of the players that Pruitt is referring to every time he mentions players not going about things the right way

17. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Most droll lol

18. Tenacious D

What’s that mean? Shitty attitude? Quitter? Pouter? Something else?

From a physical perspective, who is better between he and TK, and how much better / worse is one over the other?

19. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I was all set not to care this year but that first half lured me back. Damn you UT football.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Shamburger not trying is worse than TKjr. Shamburger acting right is pretty good.