R.B.I. Baseball

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Apr 9, 2014.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

2. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Yeah I think I might buy it for Xbox. Need to check what people who aren't being paid to shill for it have to say first though.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

So much negativity

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

It's an impressive promotional effort from MLB, no doubt. I probably wouldn't have known it was releasing today if they hadn't gone full force. Just thought it was funny how little info was out there that wasn't either on payroll or in a symbiotic relationship with MLB.

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Related, the NFL are soulless whores, but perhaps an individual under their employ who is not a soulless whore is paying attention and can do something similar for Tecmo Super Bowl (there was an iPhone one without licensing which is a non-starter). Needs customizable rosters with upload/download capability.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

this would be nice too

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm pretty sure they had something like that a couple of years ago, but maybe I dreamed it.

8. dknash

dknash Chieftain

There was Tecmo Bowl Throwback, but it didn't have NFL or NFLPA licenses and it doesn't look like you could download someone's roster with edited names a la NCAA. Plus, it was Tecmo Super Bowl, and at the end you'll be playing in the... Fantastic Cup? Scintillating Dish? No thanks.

9. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

As long as it has the Mighty Bombjack Show, I'm fine with it.

10. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Downloaded the 3 inning xbox free preview last night. Pretty fun. Game controls are very similar. I don't think you have quite as much control of the ball with the pitcher as you do in the original. I also prefer the simple graphics in the original.

11. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

There's only one baseball game to get this year.................................

12. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I find that every time I spend a nickel on a game for nostalgia's sake I regret it within an hour.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yep.

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/4/10/5601308/rbi-baseball-14-review-ps3-360

I guess that confirms that MLB doesn't pay SBNation like EA does.

I've only played the demo, and only once, but I think I see where it's going. Glad I didn't impulse buy, though I guess I still may. That said, take for what it's worth:

Needs:

Stat tracking. Don't really care if half the league hits 70 HRs or pitchers end up with 80 wins. Stats aren't the only reason to even include season mode, but maybe 75%?

Player progression/conditions. Hey, you wanna play 162 games against the CPU with the same players every game? No changes ever? OK, awesome. Otherwise, single-player is broken. You can switch it down to probably 29 games, but when you are trying to figure out ways to play something as little as possible, why bother? Without stats, it needs this at a minimum.

Uploadable/downloadable editable rosters. Depending on how MLBPA licensing is set up, they probably don't have licensing for non-active players. No big deal, just put something easy in for player/team creation and let the community handle it. 1987 rosters FTW. Or lock everything down and kill even more replay value. Either way.

Online multiplayer. Coming as a free update halfway through the season, along with updated rosters. Thanks for adding I guess, but when the season's half over and you'll have a couple months with semi-current rosters? In a game with a weak single-player season mode? That like all modern sports franchises will either charge you in full for next year's rosters/shuffling of deck chairs or will cease updating entirely?

Baserunning was actually better on NES. Holy crap, I can't believe I just wrote that. Anyways, you can't just hold up + B (uh, X I guess) to round the bag and go for a double. Now you have to wait for your guy to hit the bag and then jam it a few times. I could understand if that's how it was in the original and they kept it, but to make an obviously worse change? Haven't tested whether you can retreat after you hit a bag to not get doubled off on a fly ball, but hopefully they did something with that. I don't think they have a way to stop baserunners halfway (it at least wasn't mapped to down + A, which I think was Baseball Stars), which is annoying.

$20 seems pretty high for something pretty bereft of features and missing online play at ship date.

Things that are good:

Gameplay is pretty consistent with the original, and it was fun for the eight minutes I played it vs. the CPU.

Local multiplayer is probably fun.