Racing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The Dooz, Jan 13, 2015.

1. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

[video=youtube_share;UJ6pLKlU-8Q]http://youtu.be/UJ6pLKlU-8Q[/video]

2. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I'm in love!

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Seems like assins would keep they're job description on the down low.

4. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

Watkins Glen.

5. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I believe you are correct. I recall it happening to Jack Smith at the inaugural race at Bristol in 1961. He had Johnny Allen relieve him with intentions of getting back in the car, but Allen was turning faster lap times than Smith had, so they left him in to the end with Allen winning the race. NASCAR gives the driver who starts the race all the credit (read points) earned.

Later in the late 70's, Benny Parsons was running in the third position when he became overcome with exhaust fumes. A search of the pits for what they considered a competent driver to relieve Parsons was unfruitful, but Bobby Allison suggested using local (Bluff City) driver John A. Utsman. John A. as he was called by we locals, proceeded to move the car up to first and win the race. Very little was mentioned about it in the National Press. My mom worked with John A's wife and I knew him to be as talented a driver as any, but he just never got the breaks he needed to make it big. Allison described him as the best driver he knew once in an interview.

6. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Nascar 2015

My dad shared a room at HealthSouth Rehab Hospital back in' 04 with John's brother, Cecil I think. Met John A. Nice guy & everyone still called him John A.

Never heard of a Cecil, at least not a racer. There were several, Sherman and Layman raced at the weekly races at Bristol with my dad's car. Sherman raced in quite a few Nascar cup events. I used to talk to him ever so often. There was Dub also of the older generation. Larry, and Gary that raced of the younger one, my age haha. Gary had his race shop behind my business when I was in the old Ball Brothers headquarters.

Funny you mention the '61 race, Broyles. I was just reading about that race yesterday.

It may have been Layman. I'll ask mom.

He built his engines iirc.

I'll miss Jeff Gordon after this season. I guess this answers the "where will Chase Elliott go" question.

I'll always remember the 94 Brickyard as one of the greatest moments in my personal racing experiences.

It was the first time a race other than the 500 was ran at Indy, the inaugural Brickyard 400, largest crowd in NASCAR history, the largest purse, and won by Indiana resident Jeff Gordon.

Little known fact: The enormous revenue helped Tony George bankroll the formation of the IRL.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Suspended indefinty, and in a completely surprising turn of events, his appeal to NASCAB was declined as well. I guess he gets one more shot.

This whole thing is bizarre and shady all the way around. The Deleware DA needs to make a decision. It's getting ridiculous.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It's also worth noting that, per Steve O'Donell, NASCAB will not tolerate or promote a culture of domestic violence. I guess they forgot to tell that to Travis Kvapil.

9. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

speaking of Busch it looks like his brother Kyle may possibly have a compound fracture after the wreck that just happened

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That was a nasty hit. It's insane that they don't have Safer barrier on exposed walls around the track.

11. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

ya it was, the way his foot looked after they put the brace on it looked like a possible compound fracture. I hope not because although a lot of ppl can't stand him I enjoy watching him race.

12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I don't have any problem with him, but this situation is why I don't understand him running the trucks and Xfinity series, especially before the biggest race of the year. It'd be like Marshawn Lynch playing in an Arena league game the day before the Super Bowl.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Race car drivers aren't wired like that. They drive cars. It's who they are.

14. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Except that's a horrible parallel. Maybe if Marshawn Lynch owned said afl team and the afl team was going to give him the same looks that he would get from the team he was playing in the Super Bowl, and the AFL and NFL asked him to do it, and it could have earned him a nice check.

And what Doozer said.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Joie Chitwood said SAFER is going in place ASAP but immediate fix is tires.

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I get that, and I can see doing it any other time during the season, just not before the biggest race of the season. Doesn't seem like the risk of missing the 500 is worth the reward of potentially winning a meaningless Xfinity race.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

There's no meaningless race in Daytona.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Maybe not the best comparison, just pointing out that it's stupid to risk injury the day before the biggest race of the year.

How would his paycheck from winning today compare to what he would make with a decent finish tomorrow?

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

He's got plenty of money. It's not about that or points or anything else. It's about going to Victory Lane at Daytona every chance you can.

20. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

In this day and age major injuries are few and far between. Through the years a lot of the big name NASCAR guys run this race, it's not uncommon. Kyle Busch has said in the past that if there is a race where two or three of the NASCAR series are racing that weekend and he doesn't run them all then it was a wasted weekend. The guy loves to race. Just like Tony Stewart and dirt track racing