Racing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The Dooz, Jan 13, 2015.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Very shortly after the wreck the 41 was in second. Biffle drove off the track leaving the track clear. At Daytona the wreck was still in progress when the leaders approached the flagman. That was when they had to make a decision. I want to see a green flag finish when possible, Daytona probably could have been.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

3. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I'd have liked to see a race there.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Made this the NASCAR thread.

6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Surprised no one has bought it up for trackday stuff. Nothing big, but a new layer of concrete and some good planning, and that places could hold AutoX, drifting, karting, hell it could be a music venue, a market. I never understand why places like these are left to rot. Same for Nazareth, and Sanair, too. I understand that upkeep is a [itch bay], but seasonal activities(especially ones with beer) make a ton of money these days.

7. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Bruton Smith and the owner of New Hampshire bought the track strictly for it's two race dates. They had no interest in operating N. Wilkesboro.

8. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Ah, and they probably won't sell, because of ego. Sometimes I hate racing because it's a rich man's sport.

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

That land will probably be a future Walmart location.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You ever been to North Wilksboro? There's literally nothing there.

11. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

This is true, however, it is a short drive to Winston-Salem, Boone and Statesville, and not too far from Charlotte. A problem drawing crowds for the races was there were several tracks that also had races in North Carolina plus Bristol and Martinsville are close to N. Carolina. All the other facilities were kept up while Wilkesboro was a shit hole. Poor restrooms, concrete seats, limited parking, just an overall run down feel to the place. The ownership was just not interested or was not financially capable of making the improvements needed to attract people. It was sold at a time when Winston Cup was still a hot item, and track expansion was a valuable property.

12. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

There's nothing in Manchester, either.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Except a major highway that can support the traffic.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Redemption.

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Loved seeing him get the win today. There will definitely be more for him this year.

16. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Not a KB fan, nor a hater, but was happy he won - suck on it NASCAR!

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Caution may have lessened a potentially good finish at Talladega, but Junior was the man. Would have liked to see Gordon in the mix. I was pulling for Blaney, but inexperience was most likely his downfall. He was reluctant to make a move, and caught off guard by Hamlin. If he could have jumped in front of the 11, he had a chance to pass for the lead. Tough position in any case, if he did go down, Hamlin could have let him go alone long enough to pass and then pull in front of him. Give him credit for a top 5 finish.

18. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Been to Dega twice in college, couldn't go this weekend because of finals. Would have loved to be there to see JR win, that place gets so loud when he so much as leads a lap that you'd think the Bear came back to life on the infield.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Debs > Finals

20. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain