Radically Invasive Projectile (R.I.P) Gun Ammo

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Jan 26, 2014.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

:hi:

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

A .380 isn't very hot. A big man in thick winter clothing and you might not get much penetration

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Regardless, this is the sort of thing that thinks we as a society have confused "self defense" with "get to kill someone"

4. l3rewski

l3rewski Member

Exactly. You can certainly carry something in .50AE, but it still won't mean shit if you miss center mass. Comfort and reliability should take precedence over anything else.

And throwing out stories means jack, since it's always easy to find one that says the opposite. For example, there was a self-defense case somewhere in which a .380 round over-penetrated, killing both the attacker and an innocent bystander. You can't make generalizations based on such stories. There are too many factors involved and there are so many options in ammo these days.

5. OrangeEmpire

I am inclined to agree.

The value of life seems to be eroding.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

We've went from "stopping the threat" to "killing the threat."

With that said, I've carried for over 5 years now. I've pulled it out of my pants once. Had broken down and was walking when two guys saw me and made a U-turn and tried to convince me to get in the car. The entire time I was almost sick wondering what would happen if they showed a weapon. After they finally left I played it all back in my head. Made me realize then and there that shooting someone should be, at all times, a last ditch effort to get yourself out of harms way.

But... If someone puts my children in immediate danger, I am shooting to kill. Every. Last. Bullet.

And then I'm going to eat a steak dinner.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I personally think it is all talk and machismo. "Hey, I have played 100 hours of Call of Duty, I am going to get a gun and be a bad ass just like the Navy Seals." No, you will most likely never find yourself in a position that you will need a weapon. Ever. Unless you go looking for it.

I often wonder if it is the drab of modern life that has lead to these fantasy lives where we are all super secret spy agents or bad ass commandos on a mission. We get up, eat the same oatmeal every day, go to work, come home, watch the same shows, and go to bed, only to repeat it the next day. There are no new horizons to conquer, all of the world has been mapped. Life, for the most part, is not dangerous. It is boring. So we fantasize about war, a burglar coming into our home, or some pimp slapping around a women. And we fantasize where we are the hero, gallantly coming in and blowing people away like Dirty Harry, never realizing the suffering it will cause a person to kill someone else.

Most people cannot handle it in reality. But in fantasies, which is where this type of ammunition is from, we are all James Bonds.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We live in the safest period in history. But there's always going to be some sharp corners in the world.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Exactly.

10. OrangeEmpire

What do you think fuels the "active shooter" phenomenon?

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree with you.

I've shot a lot of deer, ducks, geese, coyotes and turkeys. I know what a bullet does. I hope I'm never in a situation where I have to do it to a human

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

A .380 FMJ will over penetrate.

The tests in ballistic gel are out there. I want to say one was an FBI study.

Some are old, showing lack of penetration in low caliber expanding rounds when covered with minor pieces of clothing such as t shirts and denim. And others with over penetration but minor wound creation in FMJ.

Shot placement is only relevant if the round penetrates deep enough to hit what you wanted.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I honestly think it is all a symptom of the same underlying problem. Discontent with life. Drugs, TV watching, computer games (hello, me!), etc. Ways to pass an otherwise drab existence.

Of course, these are all horrible ways of dealing with the problem, but I believe they are all symptoms of it.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Definitely an attention/"be someone" aspect to it.

15. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Got one of each. Ruger Security six .357, very accurate.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I carry, but I hope to never need it. It's not machismo with me. I freely admit that having to use my weapon on another human beeing even if they were trying to harm me would most likely do grave damage to me. It may perhaps destroy me, but I'm willing to sacrifice myself to protect my family.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have a Ruger .357. I am less accurate than the weapon itself.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I do not carry. I almost did a few years ago, but really thought about it and decided it wasn't for me. I do encourage responsible gun owners to legally carry in a responsible manner. Unfortunately, many irresponsible gun owners carry as well.

If I ever live in Grizzly country again, I will carry when in the wilderness.

EDIT: As in Alaska or the Pacific NW, not Memphis.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I can shoot the lights out with my 1911A. It's just too dang big & heavy to effectively conceal carry on my person.

20. OrangeEmpire

Get a knock off Air Marshall in the pant carrier.

Once warm weather hits, I'm in a Hawaiian flowery shirt with shorts and sandals.